KINYO KY-100 5.1 Headphone any good ?

gepetto

Limp Gawd
Hi I'm looking to get a set of headphones for gaming to use with my onboard 6.1 sound. I can't spend more than $50-$60 on them though. I saw these over at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-401-016&depa=0

Anyone have any experience with these ? Also the Sennheiser I was looking at too but they come with the 3.5mm/6.3mm connector; will that connector plug into my onboard sound and work fine ?

Thanks....peace

Short answer to your first question, I would go with the Sennheisers. To answer your second question you need 3.5mm plugs to hookup to the computer, so the Sennheiser headphones you were looking at would work fine. I would check to make sure that your onboard actually uses stereo jacks and not RCA jacks though.

Long answer to your first question. I have the Kinyo's. If you are looking for 5.1, I would look into some real 5.1 speakers. I can't even begin to distinguish the front and rear channels. I can only hear left and right. I've only tested them with my onboard audio though, and that may be the cause of the crappy 5.1. I really can't figure out why all the reviews on that Newegg page claim great 5.1. I tried to find reviews for these before I bought them, but I only found one. It also said the 5.1 wasn't that bad. So either my onboard 5.1 sucks, my headphones are defective, or everyone else is lying. I don't have a surround sound system here so I can't test them on anything else. I'm going to take them to a friend's house later and try them on his 5.1 system.

They don't sound too bad as plain old headphones, but if I had it to do over again I would've got the Sennheisers. You may have read the reviews on Newegg where some people claim that they shake when you wear them. Well they do shake, but don't let that confuse you into thinking they have great bass. They have mechanical vibrators in them, probably something similar to those in a PS2 controller. It's really just annoying when gaming when there's an explosion and your headphones shake. I guess some might like that feature though. The included amp easily picks up noise from outside sources, so you need to keep it far away from the computer, monitor, routers, etc or use some sort of metal shielding. There's also a slight hiss from the amp when there's no sound playing, but it's not bad.

The hookup is a little odd if you are going to be connecting it to a computer. They give you two separate connectors that you need to join, one with 3.5mm plugs and RCA jacks, and another with 3.5mm plugs and RCA plugs. You need to hook the RCA connectors up to get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector. I actually just found this out. I was just using some extra 3.5mm cables I had lying around, but doing it the other way gives you the color coded cables which keeps the channels straight when you unhook them, not that it matters because the 5.1 sucks anyway. I still like to keep the channels straight though.

BobbyD said:
Short answer to your first question, I would go with the Sennheisers. To answer your second question you need 3.5mm plugs to hookup to the computer, so the Sennheiser headphones you were looking at would work fine. I would check to make sure that your onboard actually uses stereo jacks and not RCA jacks though.

Long answer to your first question. I have the Kinyo's. If you are looking for 5.1, I would look into some real 5.1 speakers. I can't even begin to distinguish the front and rear channels. I can only hear left and right. I've only tested them with my onboard audio though, and that may be the cause of the crappy 5.1. I really can't figure out why all the reviews on that Newegg page claim great 5.1. I tried to find reviews for these before I bought them, but I only found one. It also said the 5.1 wasn't that bad. So either my onboard 5.1 sucks, my headphones are defective, or everyone else is lying. I don't have a surround sound system here so I can't test them on anything else. I'm going to take them to a friend's house later and try them on his 5.1 system.

They don't sound too bad as plain old headphones, but if I had it to do over again I would've got the Sennheisers. You may have read the reviews on Newegg where some people claim that they shake when you wear them. Well they do shake, but don't let that confuse you into thinking they have great bass. They have mechanical vibrators in them, probably something similar to those in a PS2 controller. It's really just annoying when gaming when there's an explosion and your headphones shake. I guess some might like that feature though. The included amp easily picks up noise from outside sources, so you need to keep it far away from the computer, monitor, routers, etc or use some sort of metal shielding. There's also a slight hiss from the amp when there's no sound playing, but it's not bad.

The hookup is a little odd if you are going to be connecting it to a computer. They give you two separate connectors that you need to join, one with 3.5mm plugs and RCA jacks, and another with 3.5mm plugs and RCA plugs. You need to hook the RCA connectors up to get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector. I actually just found this out. I was just using some extra 3.5mm cables I had lying around, but doing it the other way gives you the color coded cables which keeps the channels straight when you unhook them, not that it matters because the 5.1 sucks anyway. I still like to keep the channels straight though.

I think you might be doing something wrong. The effect is very pronounced. Much better than my DD DTS sony headphones.

Back