Kingston V Series 128GB - $119.99 MIR

Wow. First buy.com offered a killer price and now newegg is offering the same ssd and matching the free shipping of the earlier deal.

Here's a cNp of what I posted in another forum during the buy.com deal:

The drive on sale is inferior to some other Kingston models, but so long as you get your rebate it's pretty tough to complain given the price of $1/GB which people have been bitching and moaning about forever. Notice that the Legit Review is from March 2010 and the author made the following statements with the Kingston sdd selling for $362 MSRP (link and parentheses mine):
All of the talk of pricing begs the question if the performance of the drive offers good value for the price Kingston is asking. I believe it absolutely does even though going in, I had approached it with some trepidation knowing that the JMicron controllers haven't been looked upon favorably. In their defense, none of the first generation SSD controllers were very good, TRIM wasn't even in the public consciousness, and JMicron seemed to make in appearance in quite a few drive models across manufacturers so they took the brunt of the ire.

In closing, I'd like to share that my main system is running on a 128GB Patriot Torqx (Indilinx controller) which has higher read/write specifications than the Kingston. Using the bundled Acronis software, I cloned my daily Windows 7 instance over onto the Kingston and used it for several days, performing my regular activities. I saw little, if any, difference in performance and was pleased with how smoothly it performed. All in all, Kingston has done a very nice job of tweaking their V Series drives for the better and just like the first generation, we think it's deserving of the Legit Reviews Value award!

Prices on ssds have dropped quite a bit since that review, so something well south of $362 is to be expected, but $119 + f/s is as good as it gets. Even when Intel and Sandforce hit the market with new controllers, I doubt we'll see better $/gb ratio on decent drives although personally, I'll probably hold out and pay more for the newer tech since they should be dropping in the next month or ~3.

I just cancelled my order at Buy.com from very early Friday for this same drive and ordered from Newegg (should have shipped it suckers!). I'll be putting this in my Lenovo W500 where I don't need top of the line speed, just a decent amount of space and much better than HDD performance. I'm still waiting to see what the next generation of SSDs has to offer before I put one/some in my gaming PC.

Not entertaining after the recent $200 no rebate Mushkin 256GB Io SSD deal. Looking forward to more PRICE DROPS!

Last edited:
+1, I'm liking the price and have debated buying for my laptop, but I think I'll wait for the 120-128gb SSD's to get around $150 normally before buying for anything other than a desktop.

Wanting to buy but I know I'll regret it in X weeks when the price drops to $Y with no rebate. :)

The $75 rebate is too much though imo. We'll see these at $150 soon enough!

Wanting to buy but I know I'll regret it in X weeks when the price drops to $Y with no rebate. :)

The $75 rebate is too much though imo. We'll see these at $150 soon enough!

Not positive, but I think these are EOL. Indilinx has moved on to a new controller. If that's the case, these will likely sell out from most of the major retailers before the price drops much lower (hence the huge rebate). I'm still mildly regretful I didn't pick up an Intel x25m 120gb over the holidays when they were $164 after $35MIR. Hopefully the wait for the 3rd gen drives will be worth it.

I have been waiting for 3rd gen also and passed on the x25m and am kicking myself. Looks like I should have followed my own advise; If a good deal comes around on something you want, don't wait. Waiting for the next best thing is, mostly, pointless. The way things are going I could have been using that 120gb x25m for over a year before 3rd gen ssd gets figured out and prices come down. Looking like even longer.

Not positive, but I think these are EOL. Indilinx has moved on to a new controller. If that's the case, these will likely sell out from most of the major retailers before the price drops much lower (hence the huge rebate). I'm still mildly regretful I didn't pick up an Intel x25m 120gb over the holidays when they were $164 after $35MIR. Hopefully the wait for the 3rd gen drives will be worth it.

The drives have a JMicron controller, not Indilinx.

I have owned and returned this SSD before. Here is my copy and pasted review from newegg:

Pros: A very fast and responsive ssd. Windows installed without any issues and performed excellent in every day windows tasks. IE/FF, iTunes, and WoW all opened nearly instantly.

Cons: The problem I believe is that since there is no cache on this SSD, it caused significant stuttering in games. The main culprit was source games. I would get a freeze every 20 seconds or so and then it would go back to normal. Unfortunately, I had to return the ssd and get another higher performing model since the stuttering drove me crazy. Newegg was awesome during the whole process.

Other Thoughts: I would recommend this ssd to causal desktop users or laptop users as this drive is super fast and works great for anything besides gaming.

CrystalDiskMark 3.0 x64 500MB
read
seq 258.6
512k 174.5
4k 12.75
4k qd32 12.94

write
seq 140.4
512k 68.74
4k 9.687
4kqd32 10.11

How is kingston with MIRs?

I got rebates in about 5-6 weeks. I bought three for $149 each after rebates

ordered on 1-4-11 and got the rebates back last week I think I had them Monday or Tuesday

so actually more like 4 weeks...wow thats pretty good!

The drives have a JMicron controller, not Indilinx.

Guess that's what happens when I post in the wee hours of the morning. I mentioned it was a JMicron in my first post, then confused it w/ the Patriot Torqx/Indilinx in my 2nd.

Wasn't JMicron the crap controller?

Read the Legit Reviews article. 1st gen definitely sucked, then their 1.5 gen was iffy. Supposedly the one used in this drive was better.

Back