Kingston SSD V series 128GB

Karech

n00b
I ordered one of these over the weekend should be shipping soon. Ive heard mixed things about the controller on it (jmicron), but the price was good. Does anyone have CrystalDiskMark benches for it?

I bought the 64 GB version. It has the same controller. I haven't run any benchmarks but it's fast enough. It boots into Windows 7 in around 35 seconds.

Karech, any reports/experience with the V-series?

i am interested in this SSD, and i cant really find a lot of comments about it

Just got it today, i have a fresh install of win7 on my 74G raptor (RC build 7100) im going to run some tests with crystal disk mark 2.2. I should have some numbers for the ssd in an hour.

Capture.png

Hi Karech

thanks for the screenie, is it me or are those numbers VERY dissapointing? my 160 GB WD bootdrive (about 3 years old, nothing special), pulls numbers roughly as fast as the kingston.. My 500 GB samsung datadrive rapes the SSD on SEQ and 512k tests, although it does drop the ball on the 4k.. once again, this is a two year old drive, i'd hate to think what a wd 640gb black would do..

anyway, so much for benchies, have you tried installing an OS on it? that is going to be my use-case (OS+some games/apps)

thanks for the screenie, is it me or are those numbers VERY dissapointing?

The screen above is from his raptor not the Kingston SSD. At least thats what WD740GD00FLA2 (74GB Raptor) is in the window next to it.........i think he was planning to show the difference between his HDD and SSD just has not around to upping the screens yet.

once again, this is a two year old drive, i'd hate to think what a wd 640gb black would do..

This is what WD 1TB Black does (just for comparison) :

WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0 : 1000.2 GB
--------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
--------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 111.364 MB/s
Sequential Write : 104.604 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 48.634 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 92.865 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 0.668 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 2.030 MB/s

From what ive seen the intel and ocz ssds will have better performance.

But like you guys said my raptor was showing its age and games are getting bigger and bigger to the point where I could only install 3 to 4 at a time. So this should get me some extra breathing room for installs as well as improve the performance.

For the price I dont think you can go wrong depending on what your looking for (I paid $230 CAD for the kingston).

If i have any issues ill give an update.

The screen above is from his raptor not the Kingston SSD. At least thats what WD740GD00FLA2 (74GB Raptor) is in the window next to it.........i think he was planning to show the difference between his HDD and SSD just has not around to upping the screens yet.

Doh.. you're right, i wasnt quite awake when i wrote that post..

Anyway, Karech, thanks for the SSD screenie, looks much better, it totally clobbers the WD black in some areas :), im guessing the hidden surprise is also the very low latency. Does it feel faster loading apps/games from the SSD? I know the intel/ocz drives will have better performance, but also a much steeper price. The OCZ vertex line is twice as expensive per GB (and 60 GB is already quite small), so for 128gb, the V-series looks to be the only option within my budget (i could save up for a 128 vertex, but spending near 400 euros on a single component is a bit steep for me..), and intel is even worse..

looks like the V-series is a very nice price/performance/capacity compromise..

Here is a 128GB G.Skill Falcon (Indilinx MLC) for comparison. (I just ran it on mine)

ssd.png

Back