Kingston HyperX 24GB Question...

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi folks,

Did a small job for a friend over the weekend and had some bonus cash fall my way. Looking to upgrade my system memory as a result. I was poking around the egg and found this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104170) Kingston HyperX 24GB kit.
I was also looking at this kit for $10 more...(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359)

I am also curious about system compatibility. (System in sig below...) Whether it causes any system lockups when mixing or matching with certain video cards or HD's....

Keep in mind I am doing Adobe After Effects and Photoshop as well as gaming. Anyone with this ram and happy with it? Seems like a good deal to me. I want to purchase it soon and just want a few opinions before making the plunge.

Thx....

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Did a small job for a friend over the weekend and had some bonus cash fall my way. Looking to upgrade my system memory as a result. I was poking around the egg and found this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104170) Kingston HyperX 24GB kit.
I was also looking at this kit for $10 more...(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359)

I am also curious about system compatibility. (System in sig below...) Whether it causes any system lockups when mixing or matching with certain video cards or HD's....

Keep in mind I am doing Adobe After Effects and Photoshop as well as gaming. Anyone with this ram and happy with it? Seems like a good deal to me. I want to purchase it soon and just want a few opinions before making the plunge.

Thx....

I'm sorry to say this, but you will not be able to fit all six DIMMs on your system's motherboard (if it's the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R that's in your sig): That mobo has only four DIMM slots (just like the original Intel DX58SO mobo) to begin with. This limits the maximum RAM capacity of that mobo to 16GB total - and running in a hybrid "Flex" triple/single-channel memory controller mode, to boot. 24GB on that mobo would have required 8GB DIMMs - something that neither the X58 chipset nor the LGA 1366 i7 IMC currently supports. All of the 24GB kits currently on the market use six DIMMs. But with your mobo, you will be able to use only four of them at most.

As a result, in true triple-channel mode, you're already maxed out at your system's current 12GB due to the very limited number of DIMM slots.

I'm sorry to say this, but you will not be able to fit all six DIMMs on your system's motherboard (if it's the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R that's in your sig): That mobo has only four DIMM slots (just like the original Intel DX58SO mobo) to begin with. This limits the maximum RAM capacity of that mobo to 16GB total - and running in a hybrid "Flex" triple/single-channel memory controller mode, to boot. 24GB on that mobo would have required 8GB DIMMs - something that neither the X58 chipset nor the LGA 1366 i7 IMC currently supports. All of the 24GB kits currently on the market use six DIMMs. But with your mobo, you will be able to use only four of them at most.

As a result, in true triple-channel mode, you're already maxed out at your system's current 12GB due to the very limited number of DIMM slots.

Mine is revision 2 of the UD3R...From what I have read, it has a diff controller and can support all that ram.

Incidentally, I just installed both of Kingston and G-Skill 24GB kits last week. Kingston went into Asus P6T SE motherboard, and G-Skill into Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 1.0) motherboard. Each of them had previously Patriot 12GB kit. No issues in either case. Old DIMMs out, new DIMMs in. No BIOS change (both systems are overclocked to 3.8GHz with i7-920).

Incidentally, I just installed both of Kingston and G-Skill 24GB kits last week. Kingston went into Asus P6T SE motherboard, and G-Skill into Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 1.0) motherboard. Each of them had previously Patriot 12GB kit. No issues in either case. Old DIMMs out, new DIMMs in. No BIOS change (both systems are overclocked to 3.8GHz with i7-920).

Thx for that update!!!! I will go with either or...

Go with G.Skill Ripjaws, not just look cooler :)
i always have good experience with Ripjaws OC.

Mine is revision 2 of the UD3R...From what I have read, it has a diff controller and can support all that ram.

The memory controller is on the processor. What mainly determines the compatibility of these things is the quality of the BIOS. Companies like Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI screw with BIOS settings (specifically RAM timings) to make the boards faster in benchmarks but this has the unfortunate effect of screwing up memory compatibility with some modules. Some boards lack sufficient power phases for the DIMM slots which compromises system stability with more RAM modules, but Gigabyte is safe in that regard. At least every model I've seen recently is good enough in that regard.

There is no revision 2.0 of the EX58-UD3R listed on Gigabyte's site, only a 1.0, 1.6, and 1.7, all of which have only 4 slots. Unless you mistyped you board's model, or replaced your board with something different, the kit you're looking at is 6 modules, you'll only be able to physically install 16GB.

ryan975 is correct. (Unless you mistyped the model number.) There has been only 1.0, 1.6 and 1.7 of the EX58-UD3R - but instead of version 2.0 of that same model board, we get a completely different board (Version 1.0 of the GA-X58A-UD3R) to replace the EX58-UD3R. Though the X58A-UD3R replaced the EX58-UD3R in Gigabyte's lineup, the two boards are of completely different designs. The EX58-UD3R had no SATA 6.0 Gbps or USB 3.0 controller at all while the X58A-UD3R added both of those controllers (provided by onboard third-party chipsets). The X58A-UD3R also has six DIMM slots versus only four DIMM slots on the EX58-UD3R. Also, the EX58-UD3R has only two PCI-e x16 slots and one PCI-e x4 slot while the X58A-UD3R has four PCI-e x16 physical slots that can run at x16/x16 or x16/x8/x8 or x8/x8/x8/x8 mode.

Sorry, I updated my signature. I do indeed have an X58A-U3DR board (r2)

Well, in that case, you'd be paying more than you should with those 6-module kits just for more peace of mind: If you bought three 8GB dual-channel kits or two 12GB triple-channel kits, there is a good chance that the two or three kits could be of completely different lot numbers and/or revisions, which increase the likelihood of stability issues. The six modules in each of those 24GB kits are from the same production batch.

And now, the G.SKILL kit ($180) in your original post is now $10 less expensive than the Kingston kit ($190) - and that's not to mention that the G.SKILL's rated voltage is 1.5V (versus 1.65V for the Kingston kit). And since the memory controller voltage sometimes needs a voltage bump just to run stably with more than one module per channel installed, it's a no-brainer to choose the G.SKILL kit. The Kingston kit might need 1.8V or even 1.9V DIMM voltage if you're going to use more than half of that kit. And that's not to mention that the use of six DIMMs are more likely to put a greater load on the IMC and thus heat up the CPU more than the use of only three DIMMs even when they are all running at the same DIMM and VTT (Uncore) voltage.

Last edited:
Back