Kingston C9 vs C10 Ram combination

Zukker

n00b
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
31
Hello,

Got a question about Kingston Ram. I bought 2 x 4G of KHX1600C9D3K2 ram a year ago. I want to increase to 16G by buying another 2 sticks of the same. Unfortunately it has all been B/O and may not be available for a while. Could I use Kingston HX316C10FBK2/8? Would the different C9 vs C10 make any difference to the ram operating correctly.

I have my system over clocked to 4.3 GHz and do not want to lose that.

Thanks ahead of time.
 
One set is 1.5V and one is 1.65V, so if you have to increase the voltage above 1.5V for all of your RAM, you may damage the lower voltage RAM. Also, if they're on the same channel or if you can't set the timings separately for each channel, you may have to run all four at CAS 10, which will result in a slight performance penalty.
 
One set is 1.5V and one is 1.65V, so if you have to increase the voltage above 1.5V for all of your RAM, you may damage the lower voltage RAM. Also, if they're on the same channel or if you can't set the timings separately for each channel, you may have to run all four at CAS 10, which will result in a slight performance penalty.



Thank you,

I have voltage set to max. 1.225 V so voltage shouldn't be a problem ... how much of a performance hit would it be?
 
Actually JDEC requires that ram be able to function up to voltages of ~1.9V with no damage in order to be certified. It isn't required to be stable there but running a 1.5V ram at 1.65 will not harm it in any way. Stability is a different matter.

In your case the best bet, and granted as a last resort ie: desperation, if you choose to use the other ram is to find the worst timing/speed setup of the 2 and set the better to the lower performing ram numbers.

If one goes 10-10-10@ 1866/ 9-9-9@1600 and the other does 10-11-11@1866/9-9-9@1600 then for 1866 use 10-11-11 or you could use the 1600 as both are the same. So the short version, which I should have stated first is, you will have to set your ram in the bios to manual/linking and memtest it severly to ensure stability. Voltage is not your issue.
 
Thanks for replying ... I had a hard time finding my original ram but I eventually did and ordered the KHX HyperX C9 version. This, I hope, should be completely compatible with my ram. Must be an older version as vendors do not seem to be carrying it in stock.
 
Back
Top