Kindle Fire HD for $159

pelo

2[H]4U
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/10/amazon-$50-off-kindle-fire-hd89/

$50 off the models makes it a pretty damn good buy.

Was going to get some for my kids Christmas presents, but the lack of the real Google Play Store was the only reason why I didn't get them. Damn nice little tablets, though! Pretty hot price.

Been using mine for two weeks, even now. Lack of play store hasnt hampered this as much as I thought. Browser is only misstep as it seems buggy and tabs crash frequently at certain web sites. Otherwise nice tablet.

Anyone that has had theirs less than 30 days, all 8.9 owners at least, contact CS over a price error to get your $50 back.. The first response will be a No, Sorry from a script. Follow the link for no this didnt solve the problem, then have CS call you. Didnt even ask they just offered the price difference back immediatley.

Last edited:
I know nothing about these readers , never even seen one . I'm looking for a lightweight reader (for reading text from a lounge chair ;)) that I can navigate to websights, read text, pdf, ebook etc. and log into my home network to access various documents. Would something like this do the job?

Kindle fire HD 7" is $199. Kindle fire HD 8.9" would be $249 with the $50 off. The $159 you see on that website is for the Kindle fire non HD.

Is the 32G worth it over the 16g? $319 w/ advertising. Would this be better than say a Google Nexus 7 or 10? With a normal tablet can you get apps for Amazon Prime, or is the integration not as complete?

Plus OP is wrong I believe. This is ONLY for the 8.9", so cheapest would be $249.

Last edited:
I know nothing about these readers , never even seen one . I'm looking for a lightweight reader (for reading text from a lounge chair ;)) that I can navigate to websights, read text, pdf, ebook etc. and log into my home network to access various documents. Would something like this do the job?

The 8.9 is not light weight. Actually only a few ounces less than an iPad. However it is the biggest tablet that is comfortable to hold with one hand and read from. Pretty good in bright light, not as good as OG Kindle. I do all the above with ease. Especially like the pdf navigation.

Is there anyway to access Google Music easily besides the web site? Something that does offline caching?

Is the 32G worth it over the 16g? $319 w/ advertising. Would this be better than say a Google Nexus 7 or 10? With a normal tablet can you get apps for Amazon Prime, or is the integration not as complete?

Plus OP is wrong I believe. This is ONLY for the 8.9", so cheapest would be $249.

I have 16 gig version. So far so good on storage. Reason I went with this was HDMI output for Prime that isnt restricted in any way. Dissapointed previously by apps that wont allow hdmi out. Course some still block it, HboGO Im talking about you.

I just traded my non HD in and used some CC points to make up the difference in 'zon gift cards... almost free upgrade. got the 16G as I plan on streaming most of my content. Doesn't come with the charger though.. fucking cheapos.

Does anybody know if there is a way to remove the 'special offers'? It saved me like $15 to have those on, but I am beginning to think that was a bad idea.

You could always check into XDA Developers forum to root and then change the rom, or go to getjar. You can get quite a few apps that way, and the Amazon store isn't that bad.

I bought an original Kindle Fire. It was a little annoying, but still useful for the price. After you allow installing "unknown" apps, and use getjar, you can get many apps even without rooting from getjar.

Back