• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

*Kinda Urgent* Microsoft USB Keyboard Issues

Griminal

n00b
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
28
I’m having some weirdness with my Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard and IOGear KVM on my work computer. Everything was functioning great this morning. We moved into our new offices today and I hooked up everything the way it should be. My keyboard and IOGear 4-port KVM aren’t recognized by Windows XP Pro w/SP3 after the move. All my other USB devices are fine…. WM phone, MS Intellimouse, Fingerprint reader, flash drives. I plugged in a Dell USB keyboard so I could get _some_ work done. I need my KVM though and I love my MS keyboard.

What I’ve done so far: I can’t find any drivers for the KVM… I’m assuming it uses WinXP’s default USB drivers. I installed MS Intellitype 6.3 software after uninstalling 6.2 and rebooting… but the system still tells me it can’t find the software for the keyboard. I tried allowing the “update driver” option to search the interwebs for drivers. Nada. All the troubleshooting I did was done with the keyboard plugged directly into one of the computer’s USB ports.

I don’t know what to do other than reinstall. I’ve tested the keyboard on another system and it works. … and it works on my computer in the BIOS. I’ve tried front and rear USB ports, no luck. I installed the latest chipset drivers from Dell…. No help. Right now, I don’t have the KVM installed as it doesn’t recognize it anyway. I’m guessing there are some Windows default USB drivers or something that are corrupt and not allowing the two items to find the appropriate software. Maybe some registry entries? I’m stumped and don’t what to do.

I’m running a Dell Optiplex 755 with an Intel Q6600. The USB section of device manager says Intel ICH9 for the controller. Any help would be appreciated!
 
Under device manager, remove any and all USB Root Hubs. Restart, and let windows reinstall the drivers. If that doesn't work, test the KVM on another set of systems. Report back.
 
Done. I restarted. The New Hardware Wizard popped up asking for the drivers for the MS keyboard. I allowed Windows to search for the driver automatically. It searched for a long time but gave the the dreaded "the wizard cannot find the necessary software" error. In the properties of the MS keyboard in the device manager, it says "the drivers for this device are not installed. Code 28" I tried to manually install the driver by pointing to the type32.inf file located in the Intellitype folder. It said that my hardware didn't match.

No dice. Thanks for the help.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top