Kind of strange... my HD space seems to have lost ~2 gigs, I can't figure out how

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, on my C drive with WinXP Pro on it, I now find myself having only about 4 gigs of free space left, out of a total of 19GB on that partition. I can't figure out what happened... I'm pretty sure I used to have about 6-7GB of free space. Maybe more -- I don't remember well. I haven't installed anything major recently. The only thing was Nero. I did an update of Nero 7, and it decided to install ALL of its components instead of updating only the components which I had already installed. So then I went back and uninstalled most of it. I think when I first finished "updating" nero, I had like 2+ GB of space left, and I thought WTH?? Now, after doing the uninstalls, running CCleaner to clean out temporary files, emptying recycle bin (of course), I also located, on my own, a bunch of left over nero crap in a Temp folder in the My Documents directory, which CCleaner didn't delete. That was like 500MB. Deleted that also. So after doing this clean-up, I'm still only at about 4GB of free space. It seems that I mysteriously lost 2-3 GB, or more. I have not been paying attention much to my space available so I cannot remember for sure how much I had. I thought like 6-7Gigs but maybe as high as 8 or 9?? But I am definitely under the impression that I had more than what I have now. I remember the blue and pink pie chart of disk space having more pink lol.

Any suggestions on what else I can try? It's boggling my mind because I'm not sure what else I can investigate. Just an enigma, and it's kind of bothering me. My HD is small only 80 Gigs total, all partitions combined.

Maybe I'm just imagining that I used to have more space, and maybe everything is correct after all... I dunno. Like I said I didn't pay too close attention before. Is there by any chance any way to track my drive space history?? lol.

check system restore?

exactly what my first though was.^^

Got to my computer, right-click the drive and go to properties. Hit disk cleanup, and go to More options - clean up system restore, and finish the clean-up. It will delete all the restore points except for the most recent one.

Get WinDirStat and run it. It will give you a graphical representation of your hard drive utilization. You should be able to easily identify a 2gig block in the report that comes up.

Back