Kind of long, but please help.

gsx

n00b
Ok, so this is really weird and I can't figure it out. I have a WRT54GS wireless router. I have one computer directly connected to the router with ethernet cable, an Xbox 360 connected with ethernet cable, and then one computer that connects wirelessly. I also use my iPod Touch to connect wirelessly and I myself use it most frequently for internet when I am at home, while the other people in my house use the computer that's directly connected.

As far as security goes, I live in a rural area and the next closest house to me is about 300 yards, so I'm pretty laid back on it. I have been using MAC address filtering to only allow specified MAC addresses to connect to the network, these being my personal computer and my iPod. About two days ago, my iPod was unable to connect to the internet. It was still able to join the network no problem, but was not able to access anything that required an internet connection. All the other computers in the house had no problem connecting and worked fine.

Then yesterday, the computer that is directly connected to the router stopped connecting to the internet. I am able to connect to that computer with mine, and vice versa, but the other one has no internet connection whatsoever. I can still login in from that computer to change router settings if I like, so I know it's still getting a connection to the router. I have not tried connecting at all with the 360, but I'm assuming it will not connect either. The only thing I am able to connect to the internet with is my personal computer, which connects wirelessly (it is strange to me that I can still connect with it, but not the other computer that is directly connected into the router).

My personal computer is the only computer on the network that uses a Static IP address, so I'm guessing since it can connect and nothing else can that my router is not renewing IP leases on any other devices in my house.

So my question is, what do I do? I have already tried resetting the router and updating firmware for it. I have tried renewing IP lease on the other devices, nothing seems to be working. I have even disabled all security on the router to make sure something wasn't going on there, but none of that has helped. If anyone has any ideas as to what's going on, or what's wrong, please let me know. I'm not a genius, but I'm pretty familiar with how the router works and have tried everything I can think of.

Oh yeah, I don't know who my ISP is. Like I said, I live in a rural area, so I actually have some form of satellite internet that gets transmitted from a radio tower via FM to a box on my roof. I have tried calling the company before only to find out they only installed the equipment. They gave me the number of the provider which I called. They told me they were just the provider for the area, but not actually providers and could not actually troubleshoot any problems I might be having. Long story short, the last time I called them was about 2 years ago, and I'm still not sure who I'm dealing with. And as I recall, the last time I had a problem, I knew more about what was going on than their tech support did. Whoever they might be.

So please, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Your router should have some sort of ping utility from the web interface, as well as detailed status on your WAN link. Make sure you are getting an IP address from your ISP, then try pinging google or something from the router itself to see if that works. If it does, then the problem is definitely something with NAT - make sure the router is in "gateway" mode - if it has such a setting, and that NAT is enabled (sometimes it is called by the name "SPI firewall" I believe)

Have you tried resetting the router back to factory defaults?
Once it works, go with WPA2 security. That's loads better than Mac filtering, which is easily spoofed.

Reset it back to factory defaults. See if it works with 1 computer hardwired to it.

I'm thinking you might need to enable MAC Cloning... That's my gut feeling, But instead of patching the problem you need to start from the ground up (reset to defaults).

Shadowwyvern - I pinged google from within the router interface and it works fine. According to the status I am receiving an IP address. As far as the "gateway" mode I'm not quite sure how to open up NAT on the router. It's a Linksys if that helps. I will google it in a little bit and see what I can find.

TechieSooner - Yes, I have. I have done the power down thing for about 3 minutes and then powered the router back on and reconnected everything, and I have held down the reset button manually for 30 seconds. I'm still unable to connect on the computer that is wired directly to it. Which computer should I be MAC cloning? The PC that's wired directly, or the one I'm using currently that uses wifi?

If you're connecting wirelessly then you're router must be getting an IP address OK, nevermind about MAC cloning.

So the only machine that can connect is the one you have a static IP set on? Do an ipconfig /all and post it here... I'm curious how you have it set.

It sounds to me like you have your default gateway set incorrectly or something.

Ok, so this is really weird and I can't figure it out. I have a WRT54GS wireless router. I have one computer directly connected to the router with ethernet cable, an Xbox 360 connected with ethernet cable, and then one computer that connects wirelessly. I also use my iPod Touch to connect wirelessly and I myself use it most frequently for internet when I am at home, while the other people in my house use the computer that's directly connected.

+PC1 > wired > router > internet
+XBOX > wired > router > internet
+iPod > wireless > router > internet
+ PC2 > wireless > router > internet

The first thing that popped into my mind was wireless to wired bridging. Some wireless "router" devices have a feature that stops this from happening.

?Wired to wireless/wireless to wired bridging?

As far as security goes, I live in a rural area and the next closest house to me is about 300 yards, so I'm pretty laid back on it. I have been using MAC address filtering to only allow specified MAC addresses to connect to the network, these being my personal computer and my iPod. About two days ago, my iPod was unable to connect to the internet. It was still able to join the network no problem, but was not able to access anything that required an internet connection. All the other computers in the house had no problem connecting and worked fine.

- iPod > wireless > +MAC filtered > router > internet
+- iPod > wireless > +MAC filtered > router > other PCs LAN (wired or wireless)??? What is "join the network"?
+ PC2 > wireless > +MAC filtered > router > internet

Then yesterday, the computer that is directly connected to the router stopped connecting to the internet. I am able to connect to that computer with mine, and vice versa, but the other one has no internet connection whatsoever. I can still login in from that computer to change router settings if I like, so I know it's still getting a connection to the router. I have not tried connecting at all with the 360, but I'm assuming it will not connect either. The only thing I am able to connect to the internet with is my personal computer, which connects wirelessly (it is strange to me that I can still connect with it, but not the other computer that is directly connected into the router).
+PC1 > wired > router > PC2
-PC1 > wired > router > internet
+PC1 > wired > router
+PC2 > wireless > +MAC filtered > router > internet

My personal computer is the only computer on the network that uses a Static IP address, so I'm guessing since it can connect and nothing else can that my router is not renewing IP leases on any other devices in my house.
Why conclude this without testing?
1) Is the DHCP server on on your "router"?
2) Are the machines getting DHCP issued IP addresses or are they not?

So my question is, what do I do?

You can try calling your ISP again. But, your internet is working; and since they're your internet service provider, their job is done.

If you reset your router to factory defaults check the following:
1) No MAC Filtering
2) No firewall policies
3) DHCP server is on

For troubleshooting
1) Set static IPs on everything
2) What can hit what? Where is it being stopped? (wired to wireless? wired to internet? wireless to internet?)
3) Conclude where the problem lay: is it the router/firewall? How is it the router/firewall (see previous question)? Is it the PCs themselves? Do you have bad IP configurations (no default gateway/bad routing tables, are they on different subnets)? Do you have firewalls on your clients?

Please:
1) post ip addressing information from ipconfig /all from all of your clients. (start> run> type in cmd /k ipconfig /all and post the entirity of the stuff in black window)
2) post your routing tables from all of your clients ((start> run> type in cmd /k netstat -ar and post the entirity of the stuff in black window)
3) if you're ballsy, try running netdiag (after downloading) and attach results. [netdiag doesn't appear to work in vista :( ]

By my line of thinking, i believe something is fucked up on your clients, and the router/firewall and your internet are fine.

+iPod > wireless > router > internet
+ PC2 > wireless > router > internet

The first thing that popped into my mind was wireless to wired bridging. Some wireless "router" devices have a

feature that stops this from happening.

?Wired to wireless/wireless to wired bridging?

-Not sure, how can I check?

- iPod > wireless > +MAC filtered > router > internet
+- iPod > wireless > +MAC filtered > router > other PCs LAN (wired or wireless)??? What is "join the network"?
+ PC2 > wireless > +MAC filtered > router > internet

other PCs LAN (wired or wireless)???

-Not sure what you're asking here? Are PCs connected on LAN wirelessly or wired?

What is "join the network"?

-When I turn WiFi on my iPod connects to the wireless network with no problems.

Why conclude this without testing?
1) Is the DHCP server on on your "router"?
2) Are the machines getting DHCP issued IP addresses or are they not?

-I'm not sure how to test this exactly.
-1) DHCP server is on.
-2) I'm not sure how to tell this either. Looking at cmd prompt I want to say that PC1 is not. I'll post that and let you

tell me because I'm not entirely sure how to interpret everything.

You can try calling your ISP again. But, your internet is working; and since they're your internet service provider, their

job is done.

-Agreed. I thought of this myself.

If you reset your router to factory defaults check the following:
1) No MAC Filtering
2) No firewall policies
3) DHCP server is on

-1) Did that
-2) Did that
-3) Check

For troubleshooting
1) Set static IPs on everything
2) What can hit what? Where is it being stopped? (wired to wireless? wired to internet? wireless to internet?)

3) Conclude where the problem lay: a) is it the router/firewall? b) How is it the router/firewall (see previous

question)? c) Is it the PCs themselves? d) Do you have bad IP configurations (no default gateway/bad routing tables,

are they on different subnets)? e) Do you have firewalls on your clients?

-1) I was going to try that, but I can't quite figure it out now. When I run ipconfig in cmd on PC1 DNS servers are

listed as 1.2.3.2 and 4.5.6.7 I've never seen them listed like this and it seems like that might be wrong. Maybe you

can tell me. Either way, if it is wrong, I cannot setup a static IP on PC1 until that's taken care of can I?

-2) PC1 > wired > router
PC2 > wireless > router > internet
PC1 > router > PC2
PC2 > router > PC1
iPod > wireless > router

-3)I will answer this one the best that I can, but bear with me, a lot of this is a little over my head.

a) Don't think there is a firewall issue. The reason I am thinking the router is because two of the devices are not

connecting. When it first started happening with the iPod, I thought the iPod was going bad. Then, the very next day

PC1 stopped connecting. I did not do anything or change any settings on the router prior to either having problems

connecting to the internet.

b) I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the DNS servers being 1.2.3.2 and 4.5.6.7 kind of makes me think there is

something going on with the router. As I said, maybe I'm wrong, but I do not ever remeber it being like this before.

It's the same thing in the router status as it is for PC1.

c) Please tell me how to figure this out

d) Not that I'm aware of, but maybe you can help me out with that. I have not changed any settings on the computers

in at least 2 years. The iPod is only about 3 months old, but I have not had to change any settings for it, other than

adding its MAC address to the filter list on the router.

e) Windows firewall is disabled on both PCs. I'm running Trend Micro Internet Security on PC2 and have been for

about 1 1/2 years. Firewall is on, but only protecting PC2. While trying to trouble shoot the problem I have turned the

firewall off though.

PC1
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adap

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-AD-73-3C-97
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.2.3.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:09:56 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 23, 2009 2:09:56 PM

PC2

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : justapc
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless P
CI Adapter(rev.B)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-95-E6-B8-EF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.136
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.161.141.1

Router status screen

Firmware Version: v1.52.2, Jun. 7, 2007
Current Time: Sun, Mar 22 2009 17:50:36
MAC Address: 00:16:B6:E9: DA:34
Router Name: WRT54GS
Host Name:
Domain Name:

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.100.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.100.1
DNS 1: 1.2.3.2
DNS 2: 4.5.6.7
DNS 3:
MTU: 1500

Route Table PC1
===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 80 ad 73 3c 97 ...... CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet
Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination...........Netmask................Gateway..............Interface..........Metric
0.0.0.0..............................0.0.0.0...................192.168.1.1..........192.168.1.100.......20
127.0.0.0..........................255.0.0.0................127.0.0.1..............127.0.0.1...............1
169.254.0.0.......................255.255.0.0............192.168.1.100......192.168.1.100........20
192.168.1.0.......................255.255.255.0.........192.168.1.100......192.168.1.100........20
192.168.1.100...................255.255.255.255......127.0.0.1.............127.0.0.1...............20
192.168.1.255...................255.255.255.255......192.168.1.100......192.168.1.100........20
224.0.0.0..........................240.0.0.0.................192.168.1.100......192.168.1.100.......20
255.255.255.255...............255.255.255.255.......192.168.1.100......192.168.1.100.........1
Default Gateway:...............192.168.1.1
Persistent Routes:
None

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>netstat -ar

Route Table PC2
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 11 95 e6 b8 ef ...... D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter(r
ev.B) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination..........Netmask.............Gateway.............Interface..............Metric
0.0.0.0.............................0.0.0.0................192.168.1.1........192.168.1.136..........25
127.0.0.0.........................255.0.0.0.............127.0.0.1............127.0.0.1..................1
192.168.1.0......................255.255.255.0......192.168.1.136......192.168.1.136..........25
192.168.1.136...................255.255.255.255...127.0.0.1..........127.0.0.1................25
192.168.1.255...................255.255.255.255...192.168.1.136...192.168.1.136.........25
224.0.0.0..........................240.0.0.0..............192.168.1.136...192.168.1.136.........25
255.255.255.255................255.255.255.255...192.168.1.136...192.168.1.136...........1
Default Gateway:...............192.168.1.1
Persistent Routes:
None

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Sorry TechieSooner, IP config for both PCs is in the above post. PC1 won't connect to internet, PC2 will.

See the difference? The first one (that you're getting with DHCP) has invalid DNS entries. Your statically set PC has valid entries.

If you want to verify it, on the PC that isn't working, go here:
http://209.85.171.100/
It's an IP address of one of Google's servers. Since you're going directly to it, no DNS lookup is performed. My guess is it'll probably work.

The problem is when you type in www.google.com, it tries to do a DNS lookup using servers that don't exist.

See the difference? The first one (that you're getting with DHCP) has invalid DNS entries. Your statically set PC has valid entries.

That's what I thought too. If you read the longer post I had I was saying that I had never noticed it like that before. That's where I am confused, though. I haven't touched/changed router settings in months, probably years. Nor have I played with any of the settings on the computer either. So why would it be doing that now? If you look at the router status just below my ipconfig post, it's set the same way in the router. How to I change/fix it?

If you want to verify it, on the PC that isn't working, go here:
http://209.85.171.100/
It's an IP address of one of Google's servers. Since you're going directly to it, no DNS lookup is performed. My guess is it'll probably work.

The problem is when you type in www.google.com, it tries to do a DNS lookup using servers that don't exist.

Yeah, I was able to ping the site. So that's exactly what it is. I knew the DNS looked funny. So what do I do?

Sweet, I just figured it out. Changed router settings to use static DNS. Everything works great now. How did these end up changing when I haven't messed with them, though?

Thank you to everyone who offered guidance/assistance. Also thank you for taking the time to read my problem and then reply. I really do appreciate it.

set the dns settings to static in the clients or turn off dhcp on the router and run a dhcp server on the wired box.
or set dns static in the router lol

What happened is your isps dhcp server is messed up.

Sweet, I just figured it out. Changed router settings to use static DNS. Everything works great now. How did these end up changing when I haven't messed with them, though?
Either you really didn't reset the router all the way, or...

What happened is your isps dhcp server is messed up.

Like story said, your ISP gave you bad DNS servers.

I would say it looks like someone messed with you. A dns of 1232 4567?

Better lock down that network no matter how rural you are.

I honestly didn't read the whole thing... I was assuming it was secured. But if not, yea this looks like someone jacked with you ;)

Back