Killing processes over VNC

Order

Gawd
How can I remotely kill a process (ie: internet explorer) remotely through a VNC connection without physically going into task manager or manually clicking the "X"?

Well, you could use a command line (how about setting up a telnet or ssh server?) and use tasklist and taskkill.
I have to ask, though. What's wrong with task manager and the close button?

edit: Both tasklist and taskkill can be used on remote systems, if things are set up for it.

hold shift+ ctrl+alt+del to do a task manager on remote pc or just goto the options on the connection and choose to send a ctrl+alt+del.

I work at a high school with kids that are problematic.
They need internet access and its hard to filter certain things without removing their access to information that they might need. If I'm viewing their screen and I see them doing something that I don't want them to do I want to be able to instantly shut down the process without having to go through too many steps. Its a convenience thing, mostly.
Thanks for your help.

Right.
It might actually be more effective to walk around the computer lab and look mildly scary and attentive, but that's nowhere near as neat. :)

PSTools (specifcally PSExec) from sysinternals.com (it's a freebie) allows remote execution (such as a process terminator) on networked computers.

With this and TASKKILL (built into windows) you should be able to accomplish what you need.

You could also put some denied executions in the group policy of either the domain or local computers.

This would prevent them from running programs in explorer with specific names.
they could still be launched from the command line, however.

Maybe letting them know they are being watched wouldn't be such a bad idea. If they think they might be caught and punished it might prevent them from doing it in the first place.

All the workstations are running Fortres so I don't have any problems with them executing programs. It just has to do with what they should be doing at a given time versus what they feel like doing at that time. They know I monitor them remotely and they have curtailed some of the bullshit but I still look for the most efficient way to deal with it.

Gig hit it right on the head. Also I'd look into nircmd do a search for it. Nice program.

Also you mad want to look into I think its Blackhole Proxy, no-ads.pac. Basically what it does is use the auto proxy configuration part of a web browser to set it to send web servers that serv ads (or whatever you specify MUAHAHA) through a non responding server, thusly denying access to it. Sorry I'm too lazy to link to anything. This way all you have to do (if you are running Active directory) is set a policy that tells IE to use the file (the file can be called from a local location for IE with File:// NOT File:/// as they tell you) and make proxy per computer and lock it, no more bad sites and you can add sites as you see fit :) You might want to turn off the switch to allow sites.

All of this is quick and dirty stuff in light of a proper filtering service. All I can say though is I feel you pain!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
I'm going to implement some of them tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

Back