• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Killing a RAID 0 (or 1) configuration...

Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
41
I'm as green as they come, and just don't know if this is possible. I'm looking at ordering a pre-made box, though I'm only offered choices of a single HDD or a RAID 0 or 1. I'd really prefer to have at least two HDDs, however, so would it be possible to go for the RAID and then just "separate" them after I get it?

Again, I just have no idea about this stuff. Thanks for any help.
 
As long as they ship you a copy of XP with the machine, sure. When you get it, go into BIOS and break the array, then re-install Windows. All set.

 
unhappy_mage said:
As long as they ship you a copy of XP with the machine, sure. When you get it, go into BIOS and break the array, then re-install Windows. All set.


Thanks. I figured it would be an easy thing to do, but thought I'd make sure. You don't think I'll have any problems getting the two drives recognized as separate, then (two SATA 160gb HDDs in this case)?

I was planning to wipe the hard-drive as soon as I got it anyway, so there isn't any loss there. I know there'll be a ton of junk that I just don't need, all begging for resources. The only thing that's a little bothersome is the few pieces of software that I'd like to keep, but probably won't be able to.
 
No, there shouldn't be any problem using the drives separately. You may have to do something slightly strange like create a single-disk stripe set, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Good luck!

 
Back
Top