Killer Nic dropping connection on LAN

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
I have a Killer Nic 2100 installed on an 1155 setup under Windows 8. I can upload large files to anywhere on my home network .. but when I pull large files off of my main computer with the Killer Nic in it .. the connection drops out on my main rig... no network connection of any kind on my main rig until I reboot ..

I don't have this problem with the onboard nic ..

sometimes the network will drop when the power flutters .. all the other computers I have will have internet connection .. but my rig won't ..

any ideas ..

I have the windows 8 64bit driver installed from the bigfoot network's site on fresh install of windows

Is it the latest version 6.1.0.440? Since it's a new OS they are likely finding and fixing bugs at an increased rate than their normal release period.

Is it the latest version 6.1.0.440? Since it's a new OS they are likely finding and fixing bugs at an increased rate than their normal release period.

yep ..latest version .. I even uninstalled , rebooted and used the killer uninstall cleaner, rebooted and then reinstalled the latest drivers .. still drops large file transfers that are initiated from other computers on my lan .. not sure what the cut off size is , but grabbing a 200mb file transfers fine, but bigger than 1gb or so seems to cause my main comp to shut the killer nic's connectivity right off .. If I initiate the transfer from my main computer to a diff comp on my lan .. it's fine

I used to have a killer, definitely saw improvements in responsiveness of most online games, definitely saw lots of driver problems (for me it would BSOD any time it tried to open connections to too many IPs in too small a window). Replaced it with a i350-T2, saw same improved responsiveness in games, did not see any more driver issues.

Whoever thinks that introducing another complete computer on a "NIC" doesn't introduce bugs and actually decreases latency deserves to be ripped off. Fools and their money...

Whoever thinks that introducing another complete computer on a "NIC" doesn't introduce bugs and actually decreases latency deserves to be ripped off. Fools and their money...

Relax. Sure, it might be buggy (Windows was never designed to work with a device that bypasses its TCP/IP stack) but theoretically, a NIC that knows how to do its own jitter reduction via QoS and shaping can have some interesting possibilities. I mean, it's a valuable enough concept technologically that Qualcomm bought Killer.

Now, partnering it with a properly configured QoS-capable router would be even better, particularly in LAN environments with a lot of traffic from other hosts. The Killer NIC prioritizing application traffic out of the PC and the CPE router prioritizing traffic out of the network.

Would it be a huge difference? Probably not. But the technology has a lot of potential.

i got the thing used and cheap .. so I thought I'd check these "killer" nics out for myself :)

..it seems like a Qos type setting that causes large transfers not initiated by the host to pucker up the connection ..

**UPDATE**
welp ..changed out my 10/100 switches with 10/100/1000 switches and no more puckering on large file transfers not initiated by the host computer .. I was also experiencing internet lag/dropping with the Killer, the onboard nic and an Intel PCIe nic .. swapped out a nic on my smoothwall box and that fixed that.

Don't know why the Killer would pucker up but the other 2 nics wouldn't on the old switches though

Good to hear you got it sorted. The Killer NIC was an interesting concept but just a bit too rich for my tastes.

I have however, bought several of the Intel CT NICs and they work a treat. Plenty of tweaks too.

@ GotNoRice
Atheros/QCA works a lot better than Intel in my experience both in stability and speed.

//Danne

Back