Kickin it old school (p4), got a ?

Simpson5774

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
2,937
Okay, I recently acquired an old laptop which came with a p4-m 3.06ghz mobile proc w/ HT. My current system has a 2.4ghz p4, and the mobo is a p4pe. Well I successfully put the 2.4ghz p4 into the laptop, it didnt seem like it was having any problems with it. Well my desktop does, it runs it at a 12x multi, so it runs at 1600mhz, obviously not good enough.

I know it has something to do with it being a mobile processor, but is there anyway to get this thing to run at its full speed. The only possible solution I could find on the net being so old is to downgrade the bios because asus may have taken the ability to run it at full speed.

Even if its a pin-mod, im open to suggestions.
 
power-options turn to them plugged-in/ desktop or whatever it's called.

Motherboard may not support the 800FSB though and be limited to 533 (I think that's what it was.)
 
power-options turn to them plugged-in/ desktop or whatever it's called.

Motherboard may not support the 800FSB though and be limited to 533 (I think that's what it was.)

AFAIK mobile P4s didnt have speedstep, and the 3.06 can not have a FSB of 800 (its a 533 part)

i would suggest first seeing if the bios on your board is up to date, the 3.06 is possibly newer then the bios in your board, which means it might not detect it properly.

Do you have the S-spec for the 3.06? that way we can find out the exact data for the cpu
 
The 3.06GHz Mobile Pentium 4 HT has a 533MHz FSB and SpeedStep. However, Intel released this processor based on the Northwood and Prescott core. If it is the Prescott then it will not work at all but if it is the Northwood you might be able to go into the BIOS and manually set the multiplier to 23 which should circumvent SpeedStep. Also, Hyper-Threading may not work on that board.
 
The 3.06GHz Mobile Pentium 4 HT has a 533MHz FSB and SpeedStep. However, Intel released this processor based on the Northwood and Prescott core. If it is the Prescott then it will not work at all but if it is the Northwood you might be able to go into the BIOS and manually set the multiplier to 23 which should circumvent SpeedStep. Also, Hyper-Threading may not work on that board.

Its a northword, I don't seem to have that option to change the mult in bios, it shows it, but it doesn't give me the option to change it. The bios is latest one they ever produced for it (1007), This board had compatibility with the desktop 3.06ghz processors around 1002 or 1003.
 
I was afraid it wouldn't let you adjust the multiplier. I think that chip is just going to be stuck at 1.60GHz on that board.
 
I don't know if this will help or not but it's worth a shot. I used a program called RM Clock to change the mutliplier and voltage of my gf's HP DV6000 series laptop. It might work on your desktop since the processor supports speedstep. worth a shot.
 
I had P4 M without HT and due to desktop board not being able to support all mobile CPU feature, ther was no way around it. The only thing that I was able to do was to OC to stock 3.06 or little more than that. yeah, it sucks knowing thatg cpu runs cooler, it has more potential to OC but multi was limiting it.
 
I don't know if this will help or not but it's worth a shot. I used a program called RM Clock to change the mutliplier and voltage of my gf's HP DV6000 series laptop. It might work on your desktop since the processor supports speedstep. worth a shot.

Proc supports speedstep, mobo doesn't. I tried the program, but it didn't help, although it read what multi the processor should be maxed at, and it reads that its in low power mode.

Looking online there are two pins on the mobile chip which are different than the desktop chip on separate ends of the chip, from what I read, it is believed if you ground the two pins together, or sever the connection between those two pins with the mobo it may be possible to get the proc to run at full speed. I would try it if I knew it would work ,but it was speculation.

If I had a mobo that could do 800fsb, I could break a pin off this chip, to fool the board into the 800fsb strap, then overclock and this processor would be money, but I can't do that with this board :(

If anyone has any other ideas, im open to them.
 
Back
Top