KHX 3000 = crap? won't oc at all

Unoid

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought KHX 2x512 3000 from enwegg beucase some guy advised it was great memory. I should have gotten the mushkin 3200 222 special or some pc3500 so I can jack up my fsb.

I can't get my me to go any higher than 190mhz 2-2-2-11 @ 3.1V
I've relaxed my timings to cas 2.5 with 3-3-11 and cna't even do 200mhz and run memtest without a ton of errors.

what gives here? anyone got any advise? I've read this damn ram is suppose to be able to do 220mhz at my voltages with relaxed timings?

I'm not removing my heatspreader, especially if I may wanna return these sticks for refund and buy some better mem for anotehr 50-60$.

newegg allows that right?

yes BUT u get a 15% restocking fee unless they are dead :D ummmm you could try turning off CPC (command per clock) in the bios...

It could just be those sticks. I have some HyperX PC3000 in another of my PCs and they run at 200Mhz with 2-2-2-5 timings.

fixed it somehow, bios or something

205mhz 2-2-2-6 2.9V
haven't tried 2-2-2-5...

but I take back what I said atm I'm liking them.

doing what mushkins 2-2-2 specials for 280$ are rated for and I paid 212$

Originally posted by Unoid
fixed it somehow, bios or something

205mhz 2-2-2-6 2.9V
haven't tried 2-2-2-5...

but I take back what I said atm I'm liking them.

doing what mushkins 2-2-2 specials for 280$ are rated for and I paid 212$

How do you like that board, unoid? Did you have to do any mods to it? I'm looking at buying a new board, since i just got 2x 512 sticks of BH-5, and i dont know if i'll be able to push them as high as i want...

Oh the vicious cycle begins...

Have you tried running those modules at 2-2-2-11 yet? NF2 is quirky, and it performs marginally better

well, this board is the best ocing board there is many say.

2.0V vcore,
1.9vagp (no one needs it tho)
3.3V vdimm
and 1.9V chipset.

my hyperx 3000 2x512 maxes at 205 as I said with 2-2-2-6 @2.9V CPC enable (command per clock = (boost scores like PAT).

I don't know if mine ar BH-5 or not either.

but this board get a thumbs up!

and dfi has prolly some of the best entusiast customer service ever.
there forum isat: http://forums.amdmb.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=66

yeah, i just started reading up on it yesterday... I love my 8rda+, but it just wont max out my memory. The actual vdimm i get from this thing is about 2.83. I did a vdimm mod, but temps rose a lot, i expect the vdimm/vbt mod did something to affect the other components in the board...

I just ordered those same stick in a 1GB kit from kingston for $184 shipped FedEx 2-day :D

As for Diredesire

I also am loving this board. I just yesterday switched from an Abit NF7-S Rev.2
I love how the bios has more options and also the board has the newer SATA controller with 4 ports (3114 instead of 3112 on NF7)

thats great, If you wanna do best you can upgrade your dfi infinity bios to 1/21, www.dfi-street.com

and please let me know via e-mail how overclocking those memory sticks goes, what timings votlages at what mhz you get.

I can do about 216-220fsb 1:1 2-2-2-6 at 3.1V with CPC off. (option only on 1/21 bios or newer).

Use memtest86 test 5 to test how stable your mem is .

I've been thinking about buying these just 2x256MB..man I thought I could expect like 230MHz 2-2-2-6 out of them you are freaking me out.:confused:

Should I still chance and get these khx3000 dual sticks or anyone got better idea? can't afford much more oh and sry for jacking thread a bit ;)

btw my board will only allow 2.9V max in bios, and I don't dare voltmod it.

Originally posted by Unoid
thats great, If you wanna do best you can upgrade your dfi infinity bios to 1/21, www.dfi-street.com

and please let me know via e-mail how overclocking those memory sticks goes, what timings votlages at what mhz you get.

I can do about 216-220fsb 1:1 2-2-2-6 at 3.1V with CPC off. (option only on 1/21 bios or newer).

Use memtest86 test 5 to test how stable your mem is .

are you talking to me?

anywho, i JUST got the board in and barely installed windows, im going to install a diff bios when i get home from class (which im in right now :p)

I used my roomates RAM yesterday to test OCability (Mushkin Blk lvl2 PC3500 BH-5) and at 220fsb I got ongoing errors on test 5 at 96% finished

[EDIT]
btw: I treid many timings from 2-2-2-11 to 2.5-3-3-11 and none seemed to work
[/EDIT]

im hoping i wont have the same problem with my sticks.

The current sticks i am using dont get any errors at 200fsb but wont go any higher so untill my KHX comes in tomorrow i am stuck with playing with the multi

I am currently running 200x12.5 @ 1.85V

didnt run Prime95 yet but im not a strong believer of it. It runs BF1942: DC just fine so thats good enough for me at the moment

Originally posted by diredesire
How do you like that board, unoid? Did you have to do any mods to it? I'm looking at buying a new board, since i just got 2x 512 sticks of BH-5, and i dont know if i'll be able to push them as high as i want...

Oh the vicious cycle begins...

Have you tried running those modules at 2-2-2-11 yet? NF2 is quirky, and it performs marginally better

dude, get it, i have 2X256 bh-5 and i hit 250 dual channel with 2-2-2-11 timings...can't beat that :)

I will try juicing these mem chips to 3.2v and raise the fsb some more.

any advise WORKING timings for getting higher fsb? 2-2-2-6 is all that wants to work when ocing. 2.5-4-4-9 and the like don't work even at stock speeds.

mine seem to LOVE 2-2-2-11 and 3.3(3.25 actual) Vdimm, thats when they shine! and they barely get warm! :)

you've got single sided 256mb chips tho.

my 2x512 won't oc as good, most ppl know this..

yeah, try rasing your 6 to an 11

looser timings w/out any speed loss

i run mine as do most AMD people at 2-2-2-11

yes, and no, with the 1/21 infinity bios's this is changed, go to www.amdforums.com and go into the DFI motherboards, ask around there, i post ther a ton( 3500+ posts) and you will see that the highest FSB was soemthign liek 284 and that was with double sided ram...

I read the dfi mobo forum often.

I'll try more voltage and 11 timing later.

impressive... since i only started reading up yesterday, pardon the n00b questions. I generally DO my research, but i'm getting a bit hasty right now, as you probably know the feeling. What are the average FSB's attained on these boards? I'm looking to get around 250 with 2x256 or 2x512 (i'm getting the 2x512 in this week, and we'll see how it goes)

250 possible? ;D

I'm impressed with the 3.3v vdimm, my 8rda+ only goes to 2.9 (apparently 2.83v actual), but i vdimmed it and now it's quirky. :\

And this morning i took a shower with my waterpump off... burning smell, but i'm posting on it now :D

Hopefully nothing too horrible happneed to my chip, ill check for scorch marks later today ;P

Originally posted by diredesire
impressive... since i only started reading up yesterday, pardon the n00b questions. I generally DO my research, but i'm getting a bit hasty right now, as you probably know the feeling. What are the average FSB's attained on these boards? I'm looking to get around 250 with 2x256 or 2x512 (i'm getting the 2x512 in this week, and we'll see how it goes)

250 possible? ;D

I'm impressed with the 3.3v vdimm, my 8rda+ only goes to 2.9 (apparently 2.83v actual), but i vdimmed it and now it's quirky. :\

And this morning i took a shower with my waterpump off... burning smell, but i'm posting on it now :D

Hopefully nothing too horrible happneed to my chip, ill check for scorch marks later today ;P

i would say with the right parts 250FSB is easily obtainable, i hit it no problem, upto 260 no problem and then i get errors, but i am still working on it!!! i am sure that with the new DFI boards double sided and single sided doesnt matter :) hope u get a killer board like i did!!!! BTW: i did do a couple of mods, but just ones to cool it, that might have helped me with my overclock.. here's what i did

p1010016.JPG
this is the overall product!
P1010022.JPG
this is showing the MOSFET cooling and Northbridge cooling
P1010023.JPG
this is showing the NB cooling AND memory mosfet cooling :) all the mosfet's were cooled by BGA ram sinks chopped in half...NB is cooled by zalman 6000-alcu and sb is cooled by stock NB cooler..

the Bimg command doesnt work, any one know how to make em smaller?

ph0llen, 230 should be easy, but you might need more than 2.9v

It's all luck of the draw anywyas, but winbond bh-6 (which is generally what KHX 3000 is, some get lucky and get some bh5) can handle the speeds and the volts.

Nice mods boardsports :D

Pretty extreme (as far as the space it takes up), i notice you're running your mem in single channel, do you think i could get up to 250+ with dual channel?

I think i'll spring for the board later this week or next week... still got a bit of reading to do...

it was dual channel, i put ram in there to make sure it fit :) yeah it's extreme, but i like to have silence, and this is one way to accomplish that! :D

Back