Keystone Punchdown Jack v. Keystone Coupler

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
Simple question here...

Going to be adding some ethernet wall plates and jacks in various places of my home. I like wired ethernet more than wireless. My question is which is better for a more solid signal..keystone jack or a simple coupler.

The coupler is alot more simple..no stripping wires and using the punchdown tool, just plug a cable to the back of the coupler and another into the opposite side... however you have to buy set cable lengths with ends already attached.

The jack you can customize your lengths of cable and not use excess, but of course you have to strip the ethernet wires and use the punchdown tool.

I'm not concerned about the amount of work, but I am concerned about which will give the strongest signal coming from my router in between keystones.

setup:
1 cable out from router into ethernet wall plate (into wall 1st keystone)
then from that keystone into another keystone downstairs (through/in wall)
then from downstairs keystone into media device (out from wall)

router----->keystone(in)<----------in wall cable---------->keystone(out)<-----media device

thanks.

If it's for home....just running long patch cables will get the job done.
Disadvantage....ghetto look when you have ethernet cable oozing out of holes in your wall like a long hair on the wart on a witches chin. Points dedudcted from the resale value of your home.
And more limited flexibility of where to locate the computer. Say you want to move your computer to the other side of your room...if you had a nice neat wallplate..you could just get another ethernet cable of proper length. If you run just raw ethernet cable out a hole in your wall, you may be limited in how far from that hole you can have your computer...unless you at least coil up a dozen or two feet behind the wall of extra length.

The hell? For some reason I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying....Please read the entire post before trying to help. Notice I typed WALL PLATES in the OP. There's no way in hell I'm running a cable directly through just a hole the wall. That's simply absurd.

I'm talking about a keystone wall plate x 2
keystone JACK or a keystone COUPLER

I'm simply wondering what would keep the strongest signal...hardwired keystone or a simple coupler.

do keystones and wallplate.

if you dont mind spending moneys on tool its the better way to go IMO.

I have been using hte monoprice punch down ones. the tool less ones blow, but the punch down ones are good so far. dirt cheap.

do keystones and wallplate.

if you dont mind spending moneys on tool its the better way to go IMO.

I have been using hte monoprice punch down ones. the tool less ones blow, but the punch down ones are good so far. dirt cheap.

Are you saying the wired keystone keeps a stronger signal than the keystone coupler? The coupler keystone would be easier of course...just plugging in a normal cat5e cable to the back of it without stripping wires and such.

I would go with the jacks instead of couplers. With a coupler, like you said, you'll have to buy set lengths of cable and that kills your flexibility. What if in the middle of the install you decide that you would rather have the plate in a different spot? Well, you've already order set lengths of cable so you can't.

Jacks allow for better flexibility. I will also vouch for monoprice jacks they've been solid for me.

The hell? For some reason I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying....Please read the entire post before trying to help. Notice I typed WALL PLATES in the OP. There's no way in hell I'm running a cable directly through just a hole the wall. That's simply absurd..

Guess I was, never saw a semi-ghetto device such as that keystone...as I stay away from couplers. Thought you meant proper jacks or not. That's what I get for operating on 1.5 hours sleep.

Proper crimping, when done correctly, will give the better signal. I've seen those end to end couplers in ghetto setups give problems, so I avoid them like a hooker with scabs.

both ways will work, a coupler is meant to just splice the wire.

i have those couplers keystone your talking about but i use them just to splice.

if you dont have the tools and have fairly simple runs, then sure go with a x length of a premade cable and plug it in. I believe Home Depot also has jacks with the coupler built in.

either way will work, using premade cables you need to drill larger holes through beams to run them, may be a little bit more of a pain, but if you dont have tools that right their will be $30 so may not be worth it to you. Plus if you are only doing like 4 rooms, you will be buying 4 premade cables for like 40 bucks, instaed of a spool of 1000ft for $100 after shipping.

i would run cable and put ends on it, but thats just me, if you want it easy the coupler will work, and i highly doubt any performace lost

I was leaning towards the jack actually...because I was thinking about installing a simple patch panel too since all the equipment is upstairs, would make it easier to keep track of what signal is where. I'll be doing about 4-6 rooms (including kitchen). Spending the extra $$ for a few tools isn't a big deal.

Just needed to know which would give the most reliable and strongest signal. Thanks folks.

For wall drops and stuff- I always have to crimp my own ends and stuff anyway. So for the coupler, I'd have to crimp an extra end versus just punching it down.

For signal strength, it really doesn't matter as long as you do it properly. There's less chances of screwing it up if you punch it down IMO... There's not many folks that can do a plug very well done.

It seems like less work to do the jacks to me. You can always crimp the other side, too, and not have to use a punch down tool. But you can buy a cheap networking toolkit off Ebay. I think there's even some that come with 1000' spools of cable...
It's not like you're doing it as a professsion, you won't need the hundred-dollar Fluke tools or anything.

Guess I was, never saw a semi-ghetto device such as that keystone...as I stay away from couplers. Thought you meant proper jacks or not. That's what I get for operating on 1.5 hours sleep.

Proper crimping, when done correctly, will give the better signal. I've seen those end to end couplers in ghetto setups give problems, so I avoid them like a hooker with scabs.

You don't have to avoid them. Just tell her to pick the scabs ;)

Back