• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Keyed Manual Keyboard/Mouse disabilization

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Apr 25, 2001
Messages
12,910
Hey [H]-

I interested in a manual security function-

I'm in the middle of building a rather ambitous built-in office setup (oak, built in electrics etc..-all out) and want to have a simple switch turn off the keyboard and mouse- basically a power switch for a KVM. The machine will be in a locked cabinet- and power everything off is not an option. The basic idea is at parties, keep people from messing with personal stuff, the music that's playing etc, while still keeping the monitor on to see what is playing etc... with a really easy switch.

here's a lock: http://www.mcmaster.com/ search for: 7188K27

Anyone have any ideas?
 
I hope that cabinet will have active airflow systems in it!
eek.gif


It sounds like you'd be better off with a software solution, like locking the station, though this also hides what's playing.
 
That's not sophisticated #1-

And the machine is also the security system on UPS../

Was using the party example to get you guys thinking; I'm out of college- don't have keggers much anymore... But want to be able to keep the machine(s) tamperproof while I am away for extended periods (well, my dog would say that's everyday- 10-12hrs..)

Also, prying eyes.. a key is the easiest.. especially for multiple machines via a kvm- don't have to lock each machine via software; and software can be cracked if someone figures out my 3 typical passwords :D (like everyone- don't give me the bullshit line that you have 20 passwords that are rotated every week.. :D )

Hardware lock is the easiest, sure-fire way for what I want.
 
corebreach said:
I hope that cabinet will have active airflow systems in it!
eek.gif


It sounds like you'd be better off with a software solution, like locking the station, though this also hides what's playing.

As a matter of fact, the cabinet backs up to a window (exhaust obviously.. 1" clearance under the front oak door, above hardwood floors.. Obviously forced air solution..

Dude- are we at the [H] or what?!?! What would you expect?!?! :D

Another idea I have is using an old window unit I have..
 
I know some of those cheap 10 dollar keyboards have a lock switch on them, like FN+F7 or something.
Though that doesnt do crap in this situation.

You could put in two of those locks and then make for one for the mouse and one for the keyboard and put the power pin through those locks, though I'm sure theres more effective methods.
Perhaps put the keyboard and mouse in a drawer or behind something that locks?
-randyc
 
I'm looking for something inconspicuous... Power pin on Keyboard/Mouse is an interesting idea.. I don't mind having 2 switches, that might actually work out well... And I'm using a wireless setup, so I could have the reciever hidden with the details behind a fascia...

[EDIT] - Hello! 1 switch- and a relay..[/EDIT]
 
Back
Top