• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

keyboard woes

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
1,274
Was going to do a good review of a new keyboard but I held off which I am glad I did now.

Here is my problem.

Old original keyboard the microsoft digital keyboard 1.0a. Has to be said keys very high quality, still work great to this day and is 5+ years old. Had to replace due to labels worn off. Stickers I brought to put on the keys fell apart after a month.

Brought 2 new microsoft keyboards as candidates to replace. Since the above discontinued.

First was microsoft wired keyboard 600. Very nice design, laptop style keys which I wanted to switch to since I love typing on my laptop. As soon as first used problems immedatly apparent, most notable squeeking keys especially spacebar and a wobbly tilting spacebar. Put back in box.

Second was microsoft wired keyboard 200, the keys do work but they the big clunky style which I prefer not to use now, it looks noticebly cheaper than the old digital keyboard and lacks any media keys. Currently in use on spare pc.

Third which I brought recently was the cherry stream xt g85 23100, again laptop style keys, much uglier than the microsoft wired 600 but better build quality, space bar ok no tilting wobbling. Is sadly occasional quiet squeeking but not loud and constant like the microsoft 600.

So for the past few weeks been using the cherry, I start noticing occasionally different keys have different pressure so feels as if they starting to fail, then today suddenly the y key is sticking down and also randomly making loud clank noises when pressed. I remove it, nothing looks wrong underneath, pop it back in place. The sticking and noises gone great, but now the key pressure is shafted, it doesnt click down anymore but feels like when using it that the key isnt pressed, it registers but the pressure is soft gradual rather than clicking so feels like not pressed it. Whats going on with quality control now days? its as if all modern keyboards are rubbish.

I dont want a £100 gaming keyboard with big clunky coloured keys, just want a quality media keyboard, preferably with laptop style keys, seems non exist.

I let amazon off on the other keyboards but this will be going back, so they can all pay for my replacements to try and tach them quality control. I guess I be replacing the keyboard every month until warranty runs out.
 
Iirc, SIIG makes a decent scissor-switch (laptop type keys) keyboard as well as Logitech; I've also heard people say that Apple's scissor-switch boards are decent as well, but not sure if it's just fanboy-ism or not.

Cherry ML switch type keyboards may be worth looking into as well (low-profile short-throw), but be aware that they can have key sticking issues with off-center key presses unless lube-modded.
 
ok thanks. never heard of SIIG.

Although I prefer laptop style I will go back to clunky if I have to, as poor quality laptop style is not preferable to good quality clunky.

SIIG seem to be usa only? cant find any uk.

Since most sites if not all dont offer zoomed in images of keyboards is there a specific logitech model you reccomend? My requirements are it has to be wired and with full set of keys so the numpad with media keys as well.

k200?
 
Hmm, didn't know SIIG distribution out of the US was scarce.

The "Logitech Illuminated Keyboard" (that's really the name of it, lol) is probably what you'll be looking for; it has ANSI layout (may have ISO as well, but I don't really know for certain) with an odd-ish system key-cluster layout. The keys are still a bit contoured despite their low-profile, but I consider it a plus myself.

Here's a link; Logitech Illuminated Leyboard. It's a bit on the pricy side for a scissor switch, but I have seen it go on sale quite often.

edit; lol, the pic in the link shows what seems to be their ISO layout, so it should be available in either flavor.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If it lasts for many years I can live with the price. Better than paying 1/5 the price and it last 1 month. Thanks.

It looks nice apart from the size, it looks like too big unless that front part can come off.

Seems in uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EWXX6Q/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9557925909&ref=asc_df_B001EWXX6Q##

seems the insert key is missing on that keyboard, should be above delete.

Wrist rest is non-detachable; the insert key is above the delete key, but it's in the scroll lock row (odd system cluster layout like I mentioned). As for lifespan, it should outlast normal rubber-dome boards in key feel/uniformity, but over all lifespan may run similarly depending on what you consider still "useable" (which varies greatly dependent on many factors); many people continue to use rubber-dome keyboards beyond their lifespan having grown use to smashing the keys to get them to register.

If you really want something that will last (and even be repairable) I would suggest researching mechanical switch keyboards. Cherry ML switches will be the most similar and available switch that are close to what you're looking for as far as low-profile with short-throw action (similar to scissor/laptop switches), but do have the issue of sticking at times with off-center presses unless lube-modded. If you look into Cherry MX keys, Cherry profile keycaps are the lowest profile keycaps you can probably find aside from making your own; the only issue may be sourcing a set that will cover all the keys on whatever Cherry MX board you choose.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like I should avoid cherry, I dont think its acceptable to have to mod a keyboard to not have sticking keys.

Asked a friend of mine who manages 400 machines at his workplace, asked what keyboards they buy and the response was "dont use our supplier mate we replace them every 2-3 months" o_O They use dell keyboards.
 
Sounds like I should avoid cherry, I dont think its acceptable to have to mod a keyboard to not have sticking keys.

Asked a friend of mine who manages 400 machines at his workplace, asked what keyboards they buy and the response was "dont use our supplier mate we replace them every 2-3 months" o_O They use dell keyboards.

Cherry Corp. makes the most widely available quality mechanical switches; imo the only variant of theirs you should avoid are Cherry MY switches, junk. Cherry ML are decent enough though; w/o modding the only use they should be avoided for would either be gaming or competitive typing, since that would be the only time you're really hitting the key in such a manner that would possibly cause them to stick.

The replacement cycle at your friend's work place seems pretty standard for daily workhorse data entry on standard rubber-dome keyboards; standard quality rubber membranes are only rated for ~10m key-presses on the high-end and scissors at around double that, Cherry MX are rated from 20m~50m depending on the variant (linear being the higest), I couldn't tell you how long buckling-spring switches are rated for though since some have gone for decades w/o spring replacements and still work fine.
 
U key shafted now. Not took it off, and it is defenitly happening also when pressing at centre of key not just edge.

Swapping the keyboard out today ready for return. But seems the keyboard market is pretty bad on quality control, sour taste in my mouth. Logitech here I come but will they suffer the same fate.

I am attaching sound clip, start I press good key few times so hear normal noise, thenm middle long bit is U key, then end goodkey again.

Broken key
 
Last edited:
ok I just noticed what looks like a spil mark on the bottom side of the 7 key which rests beween the damaged y and u keys.

I assumed my fault and about to order 2nd keyboard the same again although now thinking its too easy to damage as I have probably spilled o nmy old keyboard also but that didnt go so bad.

i also see on amazon's page it says spill resistant which to me means I can still try and return this as it didnt sustain this spill well?
 
new replacement cherry is still boxed up. I regret now taking the y key off as the u key has fixed itself isnt sticking anymore which has made me think the y key would have done the same.
 
Apple keyboard is the best. But I just changed over to the Logitech cleanable keyboard for novelty.
 
I think I prefer the chunkier keys now.

For a while I kept making too many typos on the laptop style cherry keyboard, the keys are flatter than the microsoft keyboard but regardless it was annoying me and the top of the keys close to each other I was occasionally hitting neighboring keys. Of course also those keyboards are less resistant and more prone to sticking issues.

The cherry keyboard now after just 3 months has the labels wearing off as well. I am thinking a way round this label issue is to get a illuminated keyboard as mentioned before but this time I am considering the microsoft sidewinder x4. Sadly I dont like the compulsary wristrest although not that big still unneeded and the key colour been red instead of something more plesant like blue, but looks like the best option out there in a almost dead keyboard market.

right now I am typing on the microsoft wired 200 keyboard I had brought. That 2nd cherry keyboard hasnt been unboxed by me I will be reselling it, and contacting cherry to get the other keyboard swapped out as 3 months for labels wearing of is ridicolous. Then I will sell that replacement.
 
Back
Top