Keyboard virus?

Impact9

[H]ard|Gawd
First of I'm not quite sure where this belongs so mods move as required.

There's a always someone writing a damn virus for everything under the sun. I just replaced my kids motherboard because the keyboard(s) weren't working. I tried 2 PS/2 and 1 USB and none of them worked properly. 15 or so keys, the exact same keys, would not respond. I thought the motherboard finally died since it did have several bloated capactators. So today I installed a new soltek nf2 board and the exact same damn thing is happening. I'm afraid to hook up anymore keyboards since I think it may be a virus of sorts. Nor will I use those keyboards on another system.

I tried google for "Keyboard Virus" but there is a piano keyboard called Virus that floods the search. Has anyone heard of a keyboard virus? If so how do I remove this virus and fix the 3 keyboards and system it infected? I had NOD32 with auto updates running along with Norton Internet Security Firewall. I am lost here and need some help.

EDIT: Sorry the forums were going down when I was trying to edit my original post. This happens even in the bios. The Up Arrow, Enter Keys, and number pads on all keyboards are inop in the bios. I also checked the region settings for the keyboard.

I tried for format and reload but the keyboard won't work enough for me to even do that.

I never heard of that one before. I don't think a typical keyboard is programable to accecpt a virus. You should try the keybaords on a different machine to confirm that they work. I noticed you said kids computer, prehaps make sure that the keyboard is still set to english, and a standard layout. These settings should be in the control panel.

eh, I don't think there is anything inside a keyboard that can be written to, at least not with standard keyboards and through the ps/2 interface. It actually sounds like a software problem. Might not be a virus, but it could be some funky software. Try booting knoppix or even a regular boot disk and see if the keys work.

Sorry the forums were going down when I was trying to edit my original post. This happens even in the bios. The Up Arrow, Enter Keys, and number pads on all keyboards are inop in the bios. I also checked the region settings for the keyboard.

I tried for format and reload but the keyboard won't work enough for me to even do that.

I had a mouse virus before.... lol... Weird crap huh? (sorry for no help in this post, I just re-formatted and it was fixed..)

Have you tried another keyboard on this computer? Its common that if someone spills something into the keyboard (or just from overuse) some keys start to go and not work anymore.

I would bet 10:1 odds the keyboard is just old or broken.

I just tried a brand new el cheapo keyboard and it's working now. I didn't dare let the computer load windows and went straight to a full format. Odd how I had 3 keyboards USB and PS/2, all go bad with the same problems on this system . Boggles the mind.

Impact9 said:
I just tried a brand new el cheapo keyboard and it's working now. I didn't dare let the computer load windows and went straight to a full format. Odd how I had 3 keyboards USB and PS/2, all go bad with the same problems on this system . Boggles the mind.

Time to ask the kids how much Juicy Juice they spilled on the keys :). Glad its working though!

maybe somone loaded diffrent drivers for your keyboard...instead of standare 104 key keyboard they coulda uninstalled that and installed some new drivers. wouldnt show up as a viruse and though your keyboard would work it wouldnt use the keys the diffrent driver hadnt assigned anything to. lol if you have any tech buds who got mad at you (lets just say its a good prank if not the solution to your problem) id have thought theyd fess up....

Direwolf20 said:
Time to ask the kids how much Juicy Juice they spilled on the keys :). Glad its working though!

Haha! The USB keyboard was ar rubber GrandTech Virtually Indestructable keyboard and it failed first. I wash that thing in the sink with soapy water!

I still think it might have been a virus to have effected the keyboards in the BIOS as well. It's working good now though.

You could have had a broken solder joint on your I/O backpanel somewhere, and the physical action of plugging in this latest keyboard made better contact. Could be a defective port too, or one that wouldn't supply enough voltage to the kb, or too much voltage....

Ah, armchair diagnostics are teh fun!!11!1!

I would normally asay it was a hardware issue too but at the top he siad it was the same keys on all of his keyboards... kinda implys software.

Back