Keyboard stops working during bootup

Kelv

Limp Gawd
My keyboard, which is not wireless, will work during the motherboard options. Bios works fine, and the F-Lock light is lit up during that time, but after that screen is over, the keyboard stops working until windows has fully loaded, which means that I have no ability to press a key so that it will boot from a cd, or go to safe mode. What can I do to fix this annoying problem?

There should be an option in your BIOS to enable USB keyboard support. It may be as obvious as "USB Keyboard Support" or it may be more cryptic like "Legacy USB Support". After turning that on, it should be available to you before Windows Initializes it.

I had this problem with a PC that was using a PS/2 keyboard. I just ended up switching to a USB keyboard.

I have this same issue with Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard (USB) on Asrock DualSATA2 mb but the same keyboard on Asus P5K mb has no such issue. Yes, the Asrock has legacy USB keyboard enabled. I have to hookup an IBM USB keyboard when I want to go into the bios or use the function keys. Keyboard works in Windows fine though. I guess the Asrock bios doesn't like the keyboard for some reason.

Ditto my Logitech G15 keyboard on my ASUS M3N-HD/HDMI board. The keyboard lights up at POST, then goes dead until Windows load.

I have 4 USB keyboards and 2 of them work during boot, and 2 of them don't on the same computer. I'm guessing maybe some keyboards use a different chipset. Once it leaves the bios screen some keyboards must switch to a different mode or something.

Back