Keyboard rewiring

AMV

Limp Gawd
I have a thread HERE that says exactly whats going on, and has pics, I am trying to change the cable on my keyboard, and I am hoping that some one can tell me the colour coding of the cables I am using.... if you can please help that would be great

I got it for Christmas from my wife, and it is a microsoft multimedia... so not cheap and sentimental if you will

P.S. if you know an easy way to like make it wireless instead.....

lol, okay buy a new one and swap out the damaged guts and swap in the new guts.

C'mon guys, you gotta be a bit more [H]ard than this! "Go out and buy a new one". Where's the spirit?

Time for some real help. I'm out of town today, but tomorrow I will take apart MY microsoft keyboard and figure out which wires in that plug are which (+5V, CLK, DATA, GND). After that, you'll just have to take a multimeter to your new cable, and solder the right wires to the right pins.

I understand your hesitation to go out a buy a new one. Why buy a new one when you can just put a new cable on it. I've done PS2->Din5 conversions before without a hitch.

Bah.

go to your local computer store, buy the cheapest keyboard they have. cut into the wire, and check if the wires are the same colors. If they are, just solder the new end on

If you want to... you can just use a multimeter and find whatever connects to pin 1 to the point in the keyboard and go from there... then just solder away from there and match the data you collected.

Grizzy said:
go to your local computer store, buy the cheapest keyboard they have. cut into the wire, and check if the wires are the same colors. If they are, just solder the new end on

"I don't know if he'll be so keen. He's already got one you see."

Although he didn't mention it specifically in this thread, he did mention it in the link to the other thread about this, and even included a picture. He already has another cable, but they aren't the same colour. Even if he were to go out and buy the "cheapest" keyboard, and it happened to have the same colour wires, that's no guarantee that they are actually going to the correct pins.

awdark said:
If you want to... you can just use a multimeter and find whatever connects to pin 1 to the point in the keyboard and go from there... then just solder away from there and match the data you collected.

It sounds like the dog ate the end though, so you can't really tell which is pin 1.

hey tony, that would be wonderful... I don't have a good enough multi to check continunity on another keyboard (I have another one of the same type, but it's someonelse's so I don't want to crack it open) so it would be great if you could check it out for me.... only if your willing of course I would do it myself but I don't own the other keyboard and don't have the multimeter

Have the chewed up stump left?
If you do, get a knife and cut that open... HOPEFULLY you will find some of the pins/colorful wires inside the insulated plug.

AMV said:
hey tony, that would be wonderful...

(I have another one of the same type, but it's someonelse's so I don't want to crack it open)

Not a problem. I have a *similar* keyboard. It's the same one, but not split. Lets hope the circuit board is the same ;).

awdark said:
Have the chewed up stump left?
If you do, get a knife and cut that open... HOPEFULLY you will find some of the pins/colorful wires inside the insulated plug.

naw.... I chased the dog downstairs with the shards of plastic from the two plugs and threw them away, I think I threw away some spagetti since..... I'll just leave it there

Damn... I got my keyboard all apart and realized that I don't have a multimeter here to check with ;). I'll see if the roommate can bring one home from work.

msinternetpinout.jpg

Found the meter and made this up for you. Any questions?

Edit:
That circuit board has the following info on it:

ASS'Y:602-00168-A01
COB:106-06868-101
(INT6868CH-50248)
PCB:001-00168-001

If this is works for your keyboard as well, please let me know.

ok, so your help was great, I could figure out exactly which wires went where... problem is I am having trouble connecting (not as [H]ard as I thought)

first I tried soldering the new keyboard wires to the pins to go inside th plug (like that makes sense but oh well) but then the pins could not slide back in... so I decided to wrap little wires around the pins the plug goes to, so I did then hot glued the wires to those pins.... but then I checked the continuity on those wires and discovered 3 wires were connected.... but I didn't check before I started which wires were conected... so I had to rip it all apart but after this the plug was sh** and was falling out of the PCB.... so now I have to solder new wires TO the PCB..... something I've never done before... I think I am going to have to find a new PCB..

not finished yet, but we'll see. your help has been very helpful though, thanks

it isnt too hard to solder to the bottom side of the pcb just make sure to use some flux..

Unless of course if you decide to solder on the top.. then that wouldnt be too hard either..
strip wire.. wrap wire around one of the pins... put flux on (yes im obsessed with flux)... heat iron put solder on iron put onto wrapped pin.

awdark said:
it isnt too hard to solder to the bottom side of the pcb just make sure to use some flux..

put flux on (yes im obsessed with flux)...

It's OK man. Flux is the most amazing thing ever :). AMV, I think your best bet would be the bottom-side of the PCB as well.

Back