keyboard/mouse won't work in XP

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
My buddy has a problem with his computer. He recently uninstalled his nvidia drivers to install new ones. It then would not boot into windows. It said it was missing a system32 file when he booted, I believe it said system 32. He cannot get into windows normally, but he can get into safe mode. Only his keyboard and mouse don't work in safe mode. They do work in the bios though. He has tried a different mouse and keyboard and also a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. I am thinking that when he uninstalled the nvidia drivers, it wiped some system drivers out as well. How would he go about getting this working again?

Sounds like some basic drivers got hosed. Best bet is a running a repair install using the Windows XP CD. This will retain all user settings and files, and some select programs may need to be reinstalled. It will also return the windows part of the system back to original, which should work for the kb/mouse.

He tried to do a repair and it took him to the console. I'm not sure what command he needs to input to restore it.

Don't go to the repair console. Go to install, it will find previous Windows and then ask you if you want to repair. If not previous versions show up, you are out of luck, and should attempt a fresh install.

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD.
You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive.
Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Ya, I don't know what he was doing, but it kept taking him to the console lol He texted me saying he was just gonna reformat. That was the better solution methinks :p

if both keyboard AND mouse quit, sounds to me like either his USB device driver got corrupted or removed, or an IRQ conflict which isn't very likely.

Ya, I don't know what he was doing, but it kept taking him to the console lol He texted me saying he was just gonna reformat. That was the better solution methinks :p

It was taking him to the console because he was selecting repair console rather then install – repair install.

The repair install would have worked for him. If would have also saved him some time and the loss of any data that wasn't backed up.

Back