keyboard / mouse adapters for xbox 360

INFINITE

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
189
I recently started searching for these - yes I'm game pad challenged. Most of the threads I found on here were quite old. I found the following devices and was wondering if anyone has used them and if so what's your impression?

XCM line - http://www.xcm.cc This sounds good on paper. Read a few older views but nothing for their most recent product for the 360 - the "Live". Looks like it has potential.

SmartJoy Frag - http://www.smartjoy.com/ I read a review and wasn't too impressed - seemed like a step in the right direction but not completely perfected. Also they seem hard to come by these days.

Xim series - http://www.xim3.com Now the XIM3 looks quite promising. I can only imagine how much it'll cost when its available. I read a few [H]ard users were using a xim2 but most seemed for PS3 and not 360.

Max Shooter - I couldn't find a manufacturers website (saw a few people advertising that these were made by XCM however I can't find a device by this name on their website) but found it sold by console source (whom I've used in the past and had good experiences with). This seems to be like a SmartJoy Frag on steroids. Including some options / configurability to reduce the short comings that the Frag had. This product also looks promising and it did receive some good reviews.

Anyone know of any other adapters out there? Feel free to post your experience with any you've tried.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I could get behind a XIM3 and move one my 360s in my room to play on my computer monitor. This would only be to play all the FPS all my coworkers only play on 360. I keep most of my FPSing to the PC.

But XIM3 looks like the best solution.
 
I read that the XIM3 would not exceed $150, though the maker's mind is subject to change.

$150 isn't too shabby though for what you get. I can't stand playing with a gamepad, so it is definitely worth it for me.
 
150 bucks for keyboard and Mouse support? lol what a jip.
 
CompuG##K - did you read that on the xim forum itself? I find it hard to believe considering the previous xim (xim 360) sold for approx 150 when it originally came out - and in fact there was one on ebay a few days ago and it's bidding was in the 140 range and still climbing! :( I hope you're right and they don't get too crazy with the price though.

Krenum - You should check out the xim website the item is very impressive really and far more than just an "adapter" but more of a translator of sorts.

There are two reasons really as to why I'd justify a purchase like this. I grew up playing PC games therefore more accustomed to kb/mouse for FPS. However when it comes to multi-player the PC games run like trash with my limited internet connection. I live in a rural area and my only source for internet other than dial up is an evdo cellular data card. However all the games on Xbox Live run flawless even when using voice / headset.

Also I'm so sick of the cheaters in PC games - with utilities out like "aimbot" or "autoaim" I'm not even going to waste my time on the PC for multi-player any more. On Live the worst you'll run into is someone using a turbo button mod on a controller.

To me buying one of these adapters is no different than someone buying a 5600 dpi mouse, ratpad, or special keyboard for their favorite titles.
 
The XIM3 shouldn't be more than $150. The creator is an active forum member and he is a great guy. He gave out the plans and his custom software for the XIM1 for FREE. He created the XIM2 and made barely any profit off it.

Even if it costs $200 for the XIM3, it is worth it. How much does it cost to build a gaming rig? Xbox($200) plus XIM3($200) = $400. You get a gaming machine with access to a ton of games that run smooth and a ton of other people to play with. No messing with drivers or patches. Lay people can play with you on their own Xbox, they don't need to be tech savy and build their own pc.
 
I have the xim2 and it requires a pc to operate. The xim3 is stand-alone. I am disabled in one hand, and wouldn't be able to play xbox games without it. I also use a fragpedal . If you prefer key/mouse gaming and have an xbox I highly recommend it. It is a quality product.When the xim3 launches i suspect xim2's will be up for sale on ebay, etc.
 
Please don't think this is rabid fanboyism......yes I own an xim2.....but I also own an XCM XFPS.

The former I will say NOTHING BUT GOOD about, the latter I have NOTHING GOOD to say about.

And I'm so impresed with xim2 that I will be buying xim3 as soon as it is released in a week or so.

I can guarantee that the price which is proposed to be sub $150 will be well worth it......Hell I'm additionally paying to have it shipped from the US to the UK with all the extra cost of shipping and customs ect that incurs.(the developer is going to in the future use distributor/s to reduce such costs for those outside the US....but I'm going to pay the extra just to get it as soon as possible)

Xim3 is a quantum leap above all the other adapters out there and uses unique patented technologies to solve the many complicated problems associated with using mouse/keyboard on the xbox360.....problems which to be frank other solutions haven't even addressed let alone solved to give the best possible experience.

When considering the price....well yes it is more expensive....but what would you rather do....spend approximately half as much on a unit that I can assure you will underperform and not meet your expectations at all, or spend the price of the xim3 and litrerally be gobsmacked by the performance.

Also regardless of the performance, the hardware you get with xim3 is again generations ahead, lcd screen with fantastic graphical user interface, onboard storage for 50 configs and 10 smart translators (this is one of the technologies that make xim3 unequaled).

Support is another issue, the xim forum community is thriving and vibrant, the developer, forum name "OBsIV" visits the forums several times a day and is continually working on requests for added features, hardware and game support from the community in his drive to continually improve and inovate this product.....all of which is available in the form of free downloads of firmware and smart translators.

Seriously don't waste your money on anything else.....get an xim3
 
xim3 might be hard to come by at first but it is most likely the best option of everything on the market.

Ive built a couple xim1 units and have loved the way they work on ps3. You can use keyboard and mouse, but you can also use a 360 controller or any other pc peripheral to play ps3 games.
 
The XIM360 (I have a XIM2) is by far the best option, but most costly. The level of customization and control you get is second-to-none compared to the other solutions out there. Believe me, you need this when every game uses different sensitivities and translation methods.
 
I did check out the xim website and was quite impressed with how professional it looked - also you are right the following seems to be immense.

My only concern - the quality and overall workmanship of the xim3 was so high in my regard - I figured there would be no way that thing would sell for less than $200.

I am very grateful for all your opinions. You've convinced me - I'll just be patient for the xim3. Also expect a full review here once I do :)

One last question to the folks using an adapter...How is your gaming "station" situated? Did you just move your xbox to your PC desk and play on a monitor? Did you rig up something in your favorite gaming chair/couch? I have my xbox setup on a 73" Mitsubishi TV so I don't intend on moving it anywhere :)

I found this product from LapWorks - curious if anyone has ever seen it before or tried it?
 
Last edited:
The last console I owned was an N64 but I must say, that XIM3 is just plain cool.
 
As bad as i want a keyboard and mouse for the 360 i can not justify spending 150$ on them. :eek:
 
One last question to the folks using an adapter...How is your gaming "station" situated? Did you just move your xbox to your PC desk and play on a monitor? Did you rig up something in your favorite gaming chair/couch? I have my xbox setup on a 73" Mitsubishi TV so I don't intend on moving it anywhere :)

I found this product from LapWorks - curious if anyone has ever seen it before or tried it?

With xim2, as it required a pc to work then a lot of people used it with their computer station.

With xim3 this is not the case, there is no requirement for a pc to game and the developer "OBsIV" is keen to encourage and enable "lounge gaming".

A large step in that direction has been adding hardware support for the PS3 navigational controller for the left hand so removing the need for a large keyboard device.

There was recent discussion about this on the forum and I'm trying to find the thread......I'll link you shortly :)

AHHH found it....... : http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=7786.msg85617#msg85617
 
Last edited:
that xim3 looks like a winner. i dont have a 360 anymore, but i think ima try it with my ps3 when its released.
 
As bad as i want a keyboard and mouse for the 360 i can not justify spending 150$ on them. :eek:

You are not spending 150 on just a mouse and keyboard adapter.

first, it is said to be less that 150 and competitive with other products. It should fall somewhere between 100 and 150. the 150 has never, ever been stated as the price. it could end up being 150, but it has never been stated as so.

second, you are also buying the support of future translators. for each game to work right, it will need it's own translator set up. XIM has promised that all of the main line FPS games will support it, and the addition of past games(though none specifically mentioned, but will add if the demand is there). The translators are important as it is what is key in making your mouse movements translate to how the game is programmed to respond to the controller. without this, you would have one of the other products out there that just don't work right.

he could easily go to a model where you have to PAY for each translator, instead it is all built into the price of the XIM3 itself.
 
I think it is kind of crazy how $150 for something that turns your xbox or ps3(with an adapter) into a mouse and keyboard console is too much when 98% of people on here have spent hundreds nearly every other year on a new video card alone.

If you think the XIM3 isn't worth $150, then don't buy it. Everyone else who does will be enjoying it and feel so happy about getting one. I spent $150 to have my xbox controller turned into a XIM2 and I was so happy about how it turned out that I posted my thanks in the XIM forums. Now I am an avid XIM forum member. Btw, I am the type who NEVER takes the time to write reviews for purchases on newegg or amazon or where ever.
 
Thanks for the link Technogiant!

Lets not get off topic here folks. Just like every piece of techno gadgetry out there today some people will find it "must have" and others "why bother". I intended for this thread to be a good resource for anyone inquiring about said "adapter" so they don't end up buying something to serve this purpose and end up disappointed.

Previous poster made an excellent comment - some people have no qualms about forking over HUNDREDS on a new video card / or SLI setup. I think 150 is a drop in the bucket vs the route I was going to take - upgrade my gaming rig all together just to be disappointed how the games play on my cellular internet connection - or be pissed beyond belief about all the cheaters / hackers out there in the PC muliplayer arena.

I'd much rather make the investment into my 360 and play on my gigantic TV instead for a fraction of the price.

What it boils down to - to each their own.

Again if you've used any of the above mentioned devices please let us all know you're experience. I signed up for XIM's release date notification email list. I plan on buying one primarily because I've heard nothing but good things - not a single bad review. Whereas other devices have been mixed.

Thanks again to all those who have contributed to this thread.:cool:
 
I was under the impression that the XIM3 was going to be cheaper as he had figured out a way to do the translation without and actual xbox360 controller (which was a decent chunk of the cost in the first place for the xim 360)
 
According to their FAQ the XIM 3 will still require a wired controller to be plugged into it. The primary reason for this - is to insure they won't / can't ban you for using such a device.

I guess the XFPS had this issue since you can unplug the controller from it - and it "emulates" from there on out.
 
I was under the impression that the XIM3 was going to be cheaper as he had figured out a way to do the translation without and actual xbox360 controller (which was a decent chunk of the cost in the first place for the xim 360)

You need a wired controller to plug into the XIM3. This is one you will need to provide, and just needs to be a stock wired controller.
 
from the videos i've seen, the XIM3 looks to be what i've been wanting for a long time. i tried converting to console gaming before, but was disappointed without the KB/mouse, and went back to the PC. while nothing compares to PC gaming, the price is steep, especially when you factor in the time it takes to setup and maintain a fast system.

like others have pointed out, $150 is such a small price to pay to get a similar experience with console gaming. i think i'll be getting a XIM3 when it comes out. if i'm not satisfied, i'll simply return it.

i bought the SmartJoy FRAG for the original XBOX many years ago and i was SEVERELY disappointed in the product. the movement was so unnatural that I ended up never using it. and since i had to buy it internationally (korea i think), returning it wasn't an option.
 
Back
Top