• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Keyboard modification

Cryptic

Gawd
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
836
How hard is it to take apart a keyboard, paint it and put it back together and it still work? I dont have a fancy keyboard, just a Compaq one from radioshack. This is a great keyboard and I've never had problems with it so I dont want to buy a black keyboard, rather do it myself. Are there any guides online how to do this? Anyon ever done this before? Thanks.
 
im actually working on one right now...the hardest part is not losing the pieces...and remember where all the keys go.. Make sure you sand good and use wetordry paper....and wet sand. Gives a good pretty finish. Look in the mod forums for an how to if there are any.
 
just wondering how you planning on keeping the letters and numbers on the keys if you going to paint over them?
 
youve got to take all the keys off of it and the electronics out of it.. That way you only have the base and face to worry about. If you paint w/o taking the keys off etc, you could damage the internals.
 
Highlife said:
just wondering how you planning on keeping the letters and numbers on the keys if you going to paint over them?

Yep that's the main problem. You have to look in hobby shops or online for rub-on or sticker lettering. Then a good coat of clear paint can help seal it up. I can't even imagine putting on little letters with my stubby fingers.
 
I do it and i'm doing one right now its not hard at all. The only thing is your going to have to pop all the keys off before you can paint.
 
fuckit6kf.jpg
 
It shouldn't be that hard. I was tired one night and acccidentally spilled my can of coke into my keyboard when it was on (not the brightest thing to do). I turned it upside down to get the excess out. The next day, I try to use it...on one side of my keyboard all the keys are screwed up and a bit sticky. I have to go and open it up to clean it out. Took me 30 minutes to fix it and put it back together (though I had to put it back together many times because the circuits sometimes weren't aligned right). If you remember where everything belongs (or draw it out) you should have no problems.

...Dan
 
Back
Top