Keyboard Lube?

Gondi

Limp Gawd
So my GF is getting kinda bored with the normal stuff so we're gonna try sticking a keyboar---...

er wait... wrong thread :)

Anyway... I spilled some Mt Dew in my keyboard a few days ago, and while i got it cleaned up fine, a lot of the grease that keeps the keys clickin nicely was rubbed off.... the numpad is a pain in the rear to use since I have to press 5 times as hard as normal to get it to respond.

Is there any specific type of lube/grease etc that's supposed to be used on keyboards as to not interfere with the circuits? It's an MS "Internet Keyboard"

Any sort of epoxy you get at the hardware store will work fine. I had the same problem (although I spilled Orangina), and my keyboard works fine now.

elitotaco said:
Any sort of epoxy you get at the hardware store will work fine. I had the same problem (although I spilled Orangina), and my keyboard works fine now.
Ummmm NO! Epoxy is exactly the opposite of what he wants! he wants to make his keyboard work smoother, not seeze up all together.

Try looking for white grease at home depot; i want to say it was called White Lithium grease, but im not certain. That might do what you need.

:rolleyes: Yes, its white lithium grease. You can get it at any autoparts store.

Ever since I got my Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard, the keys have felt, well, too sticky for my tastes. Do you think this lithium grease will help? And, if I do get it, how do I apply it?

Gondi said:
So my GF is getting kinda bored with the normal stuff so we're gonna try sticking a keyboar---...

er wait... wrong thread :)

Anyway... I spilled some Mt Dew in my keyboard a few days ago, and while i got it cleaned up fine, a lot of the grease that keeps the keys clickin nicely was rubbed off.... the numpad is a pain in the rear to use since I have to press 5 times as hard as normal to get it to respond.

Is there any specific type of lube/grease etc that's supposed to be used on keyboards as to not interfere with the circuits? It's an MS "Internet Keyboard"
i relube my boards when they need cleaning i used to use vaseline now i use a transparent gear lube for electronics i got from radioshack...it is vaseline with out dyes or fragrance...
lube2.jpg

If you have a dish washer, throw it in on low temp... Just let it dry completely before plugging it in again..

-scoob8000

you do realize that you can pop the keys out..and if its a modern kb, you can dissasemble it. 3 sheets of plastic on the inside, 108 little rubber cups, 2 screws holding the circuit board in there, and a dozen or so screws on the back of the whole thing...when i spilled juice on my KB i just popped everyone of them out took teh whole thing apart, and dumped everything in separate strainers, slapped them under the faucet, shuffle, and then ya done..dry it off with paper towel, and voila, ya done

WillowHawk said:
you do realize that you can pop the keys out..and if its a modern kb, you can dissasemble it. 3 sheets of plastic on the inside, 108 little rubber cups, 2 screws holding the circuit board in there, and a dozen or so screws on the back of the whole thing...when i spilled juice on my KB i just popped everyone of them out took teh whole thing apart, and dumped everything in separate strainers, slapped them under the faucet, shuffle, and then ya done..dry it off with paper towel, and voila, ya done
Well, I did get everything cleaned up fine.... its just that the grease rubbed off too... which is why i made the thread... the grease... for the keys.... so they click... and stuff.

my mistake, sorry, didnt read the posts well enough me guesses.. sorry for wasting space :( my excuse - i'm tired

Back