keyboard input creates a clicking sound when speakers are at very high volumes

BIOS9

n00b
i'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, however, does anyone know of a way to disable the small "clicks" that windows (i assume) makes when receiving input from the keyboard? although i can only hear them at very high volumes, i would still like to know how to get rid of them

thank you

Thats feedback from the FBIs monitoring station.

Control Panel -> Sound in XP, you should be able to find the profile for all actions in Windows and associated sounds. In Vista it should be the same but I can't find the actual menu for it.

EDIT: in Vista, right click desktop, properties and select sounds.

there is nothing in the windows sound profile that covers what i'm talking about. even when i select the 'no sounds' profile i can still hear it. perhaps the "problem" is not so closely associated with the operating system. but thank you for your help. for now though, i am still confused :confused:

I've only had this issue with a wired keyboard once. And with wireless mice, a lot. It's most likely to do with a messed up electrical signal from the keyboards end, or if you are using onboard sound the USB port could be not shielded well or something.

Do you have a USB port on the front that you can temporarily plug you keyboard into to see if the problem continues?

Those pops you hear are from electrical interference that your sound card picks up. This happenes mostly with onboard sound cards and even pci sound cards are sensitive to the electrical noises too.

You can either try shielding some cables inside your case, buy a higher quality sound card, or get an external sound card. If you're using a pci sound card you can get special EMI paper to cover it, or from what I've heard, cover the card with an anti static bag.

Those pops you hear are from electrical interference that your sound card picks up. This happenes mostly with onboard sound cards and even pci sound cards are sensitive to the electrical noises too.

You can either try shielding some cables inside your case, buy a higher quality sound card, or get an external sound card. If you're using a pci sound card you can get special EMI paper to cover it, or from what I've heard, cover the card with an anti static bag.

I've yet to see it happen with PCI/PCIe cards, but I guess nothing is impossible (no reason it can't happen :()

lol you got a pic of the anti-static soltion? :p

one thing:
those "cards" that DFI/Asus/MSI love to give out, that plug into a special slot and make the mobo cost more, those are usually no better than pure onboard sound, and I've seen them "fail" just as badly

another solution:
can you connect to your speakers/whatever via S/PDIF Optical?

I've yet to see it happen with PCI/PCIe cards, but I guess nothing is impossible (no reason it can't happen :()

lol you got a pic of the anti-static soltion? :p

one thing:
those "cards" that DFI/Asus/MSI love to give out, that plug into a special slot and make the mobo cost more, those are usually no better than pure onboard sound, and I've seen them "fail" just as badly

another solution:
can you connect to your speakers/whatever via S/PDIF Optical?

I have an Audigy2 and it picks up my wireless mouse wheel like crazy. As far as the anti-static bag, never tried, just heard that it could help.

Another computer of mine that I was running spdif out from the onboard was even worse. It was so bad that it would make static noises not just on mouse scrolls but any animation that happened on screen, like the animated powerdvd main screen.

The 1 and only solution that I've tried that worked was when I bought an external sound card.

I have an Audigy2 and it picks up my wireless mouse wheel like crazy. As far as the anti-static bag, never tried, just heard that it could help.

Another computer of mine that I was running spdif out from the onboard was even worse. It was so bad that it would make static noises not just on mouse scrolls but any animation that happened on screen, like the animated powerdvd main screen.

The 1 and only solution that I've tried that worked was when I bought an external sound card.

sucks to hear man, honestly it shouldn't be picking up noise, and I'd be toying with internal components and the power source before I'd just jump on the "external soundcard is the messiah" bandwagon (I've also heard external soundcards that put out more noise than a cat going through a clothes dryer, nothing is really "immune" to bad/dirty power, ground loops, or interference, no offense intended, I just don't subscribe to the "one size fits all" approach to tech support)

as far as the S/PDIF suggestion goes, I only mean TOSlink optical, as it won't have an electrical connection end to end, so a ground loop/RF can't really travel over it, if you still have interference, thats an issue with the card/device itself (on one end, not always the computer), and usually it clears up issues for people, at least IME

sucks to hear man, honestly it shouldn't be picking up noise, and I'd be toying with internal components and the power source before I'd just jump on the "external soundcard is the messiah" bandwagon (I've also heard external soundcards that put out more noise than a cat going through a clothes dryer, nothing is really "immune" to bad/dirty power, ground loops, or interference, no offense intended, I just don't subscribe to the "one size fits all" approach to tech support)

as far as the S/PDIF suggestion goes, I only mean TOSlink optical, as it won't have an electrical connection end to end, so a ground loop/RF can't really travel over it, if you still have interference, thats an issue with the card/device itself (on one end, not always the computer), and usually it clears up issues for people, at least IME

In that case, yup, it even happened with the optical.

As far as the audigy2 goes, I only use that when I'm using speakers and I don't notice the pops. I have to use an external when I use headphones since my headphones pick up the sound much easier. I bought an external as a last resort and because I got a really good deal on it. It solved my problems and could solve the OP's. It's certainly easier than breaking down the computer to find a bad ground or faulty cap.

OP, I would see if any nearby friends had a spare sound card that they'd be able to lend you. Then from there you can see what your options are and decide what to do from there.

Back