Keyboard and Trackpad Drivers Vanishing?

othellomcbane

Weaksauce
I'm having a strange problem on my laptop, a Dell Vostro 1310. I'm running Win7 RC, never dealt with the factory install, but this has happened on every version of Windows 7 I've run, and on Ubuntu Linux as well.

A couple weeks after doing a fresh install of the OS, eventually I'll turn on the computer and the trackpad won't register, or the keyboard won't work, or both won't work. I have to manually reboot, usually multiple times, and then eventually both are working again. It doesn't seem to be hardware failure, they otherwise work fine. It's like sometimes the OS just doesn't seem them, other times it does.

The only thing I can track it down to the is the Alps Touchpad driver I use, downloaded from the Dell website. As far as I can tell it's the only / correct driver for this machine. I'll install it, so I can change my touchpad settings (for example, I can't use sidescrolling without it, a huge PITA) but around when my computer isn't seeing the keyboard, I'll go look for the program to change the settings and it's simply missing. Doesn't come up in the programs list, taskbar, anywhere, but Windows insists it's still installed. Somehow it just becomes completely invisible. I can reinstall it and then it's back, and this usually fixes the vanishing keyboard problem for a bit, but it always comes back eventually.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.

Back