Keyboard and Mouse lag on my new Windows 8.1 build.

AdamR

n00b
Well, I built my first computer... Runs games great. Anyway, the only thing that is bothering me is the mouse occasionally stutters on the desktop, and same with the keyboard at times. An example of what I define as keyboard lag is like this: "Helllllllllllllllllo". It's like a letter is being held down, when it isn't. Has anyone else had this problem? Not sure if this is the best place to post, as it isn't mouse and keyboard specific, but whatever.

What motherboard, keyboard and mouse do you have? Have you plugged the mouse into the keyboard or directly into the motherboard? Which USB ports are you using on the motherboard for the mouse and keyboard? If you're using USB 3.0 ports, try USB 2.0 ports instead; also, you often need to install USB 3.0 drivers for your motherboard for them to work properly or at all. Have a look at the Ease Of Access Center settings, particularly the "Make the Keyboard Easier To Use" and "Make the Mouse Easier To Use" sections.

I have a Z87X-UD4H, Das Keyboard, and a G500 mouse. I only have USB 3.0 ports, and I could not find any USB drivers on Gigabyte's website either. I've tried different ports, and nothing. I have looked over the Ease of Access settings, and nothing is out of the ordinary to my knowledge.

This is one of the many known issues with Windows 8.1. In the shortcut for the game you need to go to the compatibility tab and disable display scaling on high DPI settings. Microsoft has a patch for this but it won't install on a lot of systems.

This is one of the many known issues with Windows 8.1. In the shortcut for the game you need to go to the compatibility tab and disable display scaling on high DPI settings. Microsoft has a patch for this but it won't install on a lot of systems.

Well, I guess... This still doesn't explain the lag on the desktop, or the keyboard lag/sticky keys in the OS. Maybe there is a chance that it is my motherboard? I'd really hate to RMA this mobo since I've already built everything on it.

UPDATE: Well, I think it's my motherboard... :( I tried my usb ports on the front panel of my case, and no problems.

Last edited:
Man do I feel like the biggest idiot at the moment... Turns out my bios were very out of date, so I installed the newest beta bios, and now everything seems to work fine. Thanks for all the input.

Man do I feel like the biggest idiot at the moment... Turns out my bios were very out of date, so I installed the newest beta bios, and now everything seems to work fine. Thanks for all the input.

Hah first link of the google search I linked.

I still advice you put you rig in your sig.

Its the secret of the IT industry, we are all idiots, we just surround ourselves with so many people that somebody must know the answer.

Back