Keyboard advice requested

Atragon

Limp Gawd
As the title says, I'm looking for some advice on a keyboard to replace the cheapo Logitech media keyboard I'm using (an MX230 IIRC, but I could be extremely wrong on that). I find it to be soft and lacking in feedback. I have good memories of the older keytronics membrane keyboards, and I also find that the keyboards on IBM thinkpads, and the one on my Fujitsu T4220 are pretty good too. (though the key travel is a bit short, and I tend to bottom out the keys when typing, I find that I type faster on my laptop than I do on my desktop, which is kind of sad.

So, can you suggest to me a keyboard in with a MAXIMUM budget of $130, and a preferred budget of $70-100 that would:

1) Offer my a good typing experience, keeping in mind that I find keytronics membrane style and IBM thinkpad style to be good.
2) Be reasonably durable, I'd like it to last me for a number of years.
3) Full 104 key layout, media keys optional (volume control is a nice to have), backlighting optional (again, a bonus), programmable macro keys I don't care about, arguably a negative as I don't want a massive keyboard.
4) Not freaking huge like a Model M (Yes, I know it has a rep as the god keyboard but it's huge)
5) Black would be nice
6) I would like it to not be absurdly clicky, but I haven't heard a mechanical in person, or been able to compare one against a known sound level to really guage how loud they really are.

I keep hearing a lot of buzz about mechanical keyboards, from what I've read, it sounds like that might be the direction I want to go in, but I just plain don't know.

Thanks in advance.

filco ninja mechanical keyboards have a relativley minamalist look, and will last forever. i dont know if they make a cherry mx blue switch version of it ( blues are the absolute best for typing in my opinion) they have a very audible feedback and the reason there so good for typing is that you dont have to bottom out the key when u press it for it to register.

Yeah, if you want to go Cherry MX style Mechanical the Filco Majestouch boards suit you pretty much exactly, except that you probably won't find one for $130 or less. You can get them on Amazon for $150.

Or you can go Leopold and get a keyboard with the same features, maybe *slightly* lesser build quality but nicer keycaps for $110. You can get those on Elitekeyboards.

Or there's WASD where you can get a semi-custom board for $120.

I have a Leopold myself and it's great. I also have an order in for some keycap sets through WASD. Personally I think I'd go either of those two ways and save a few dollars over forking up the extra for the Filco.

On the other hand there's the Logitech Illuminated keyboard. It's super thin almost laptop style but fillsize standard layout keyboard and it uses switches similar to those in a lot of laptop keyboards. If you already like the key feel on your laptop that might actually be a good choice at $50. You *should* be able to find that one in stock somewhere in a store, maybe best buy or staples or somewhere that might give you a chance to see how you like it first.

Last edited:
define absurdly clicky? there are tons of youtube videos with sound clips for any switch you could imagine, maybe that will give you a good idea what you need. blues are probably about as loud as it gets, although buckling springs (model m) are pretty damn loud too. more often than not i think the complaints about the noise come from others (wife, coworkers, etc.)

i think the filco/leopold route is probably your best bet, pretty much everything you want and you can pick a quieter switch like browns, clears, blacks or reds.

Das Keyboard for $130 shipped from their website just fits in your budget. Heavy, quality, cherry blues. The ultimate silent has browns which have the tactile action of the blues, but don't have the audible click if you don't bottom out the keys. That might be the perfect keyboard for you - Das Keyboard Ultimate Silent for $135 has the browns.

Rosewill mechs are back in stock at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MATCH&Description=rosewill+mechanical&x=0&y=0

I don't get why people say that the Leopold is lower quality then the filo. That is simply not true. Maybe people Q_Q about the cherry stabilizers but the Leopold has better key-caps and more nkro with a detachable cord. The same designer of the filco went to make the Leopold. Unless your stuck to the filco branding there is always cheaper options. Browns are a safe bet for you since you don't want the click or maybe a cherry red keyboard if you want a linear switch. I would suggest WASD keyboards if you wanted a full size keyboard. 120 for semi customization or 140 for all out customization.

razor black widow ultimate or thermaltake meka G1, both wonderful mechanical keyboards, both support backlighting and all have media and programmable macro keys, i'm uising the BWU and i luv it <3. i love the clicky feel and its very responsive.

Definately look into keyboards with cherry mx switches. I have one myself and I love it. To be more specfic I have a Leopold Tenkeyless with cherry mx blues. I really like it.

Thank you for the advice everyone. After reading a lot of information, I will be buying a Rosewill RK-9000 most likely.

Back