Kernel panic during lion install

tomciob

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I have a MacBook pro c2d, 6,2 model from late 2009. It was smoothly running snow leopard. I have upgraded to a crucial m4 256gb ssd and tried to install lion from scratch. This results in random kernel panics during the copy stage or during the install phase. I have cleared the PRAM and upgraded the firmware on the m4 to 0002 and it still kernel panics.

Can you suggest something?

As shoota said, verify the disk. Did you burn your own media, or are you using retail?

Have you ever used this install on another computer before? How do you know it works? I would play it safe and just burn to a disk if you're able to, it will do the verify process after the burn. Sounds like something mucked up in the USB drive creation processes.

Some more things i have tried.

Re downloaded the ....esd.dmg and used it on friends system and it installed fine, upgrade from 10.6.8.

Burned to dvd and verified, now i get "There was a problem installing mac osx, Try Reinstalling". Keep in mine that i create a new partition every time to make sure all previous stuff is wiped.

Finally reached for my snow leopard dvd and installed that. All seems to work. Will try more tomorrow.

Thanks for the inputs.

Some more things i have tried.

Re downloaded the ....esd.dmg and used it on friends system and it installed fine, upgrade from 10.6.8.

Burned to dvd and verified, now i get "There was a problem installing mac osx, Try Reinstalling". Keep in mine that i create a new partition every time to make sure all previous stuff is wiped.

Finally reached for my snow leopard dvd and installed that. All seems to work. Will try more tomorrow.

Thanks for the inputs.

Reset PRAM! If the cd/usb worked on the other person's machine id reset pram on yours..

Do you have an Apple Store near you? You should take it in even if its out of warranty.

There is a safe mode on Mac? How do I get there?

I booted from snow leopard DVD and did checks and verifications w disk utility and all I got was "this disk appears to be fine"

Not sure this will help, but I found that copying the InstallESD.dmg to your hard drive and THEN running the install process worked best. Otherwise I got kernel panics during the installer boot.

I did the 4 finger salut lots of times. Never got a safe mode screen just a second reboot and the volume increase.

so the 10.6.8 combo update finally installed, must have been a bad download last night (2 times).

I will hold off on lion since i'm finding so many problems with it and since the way i do the installation is not the apple official way it might be causing problems.

I will also do hardware tests to make sure that was not a factor.

Thank You all for the help.

so the 10.6.8 combo update finally installed, must have been a bad download last night (2 times).

I will hold off on lion since i'm finding so many problems with it and since the way i do the installation is not the apple official way it might be causing problems.

I will also do hardware tests to make sure that was not a factor.

Thank You all for the help.

Weird, i have zero problems.

Back