Kernel inpage stack error

htwild1

Weaksauce
I am running xp. From time to time I hear some noise coming (like metal on metal) from one of the hds (still don't know which one), the mouse would freeze for a few seconds and release.

Next thing this error "kernel inpage stack error" showed up.

Is this because of one of the hds is failing? I have ran chkdsk on all of the drives, so far nothing is detected.

Would hardware failure cause software to fail too?

Thanks.

Did you run chkdsk or chkdsk /f ?

Is it a clicking noise like click-click-click, pause, repeat?

Yes, a failing drive can cause the OS to fail, if the OS is on that drive.

I would download the drive utilities from the manufacturer, and run those tests on the drives. Good luck.

I ran chkdsk /f on all drives. Used WD diagnostics program showed all WD hds are ok. Yes it is a clicking noise like click-click-click, pause, repeat. It is so loud (fans) so I don't know which one is making the noise.

I know that the WD raid drives are ok because I can still boot with them. May be have to test by trial & error, unplug hd one by one.

I would isolate the drive (disconnect the non-OS drives), and call the manufacturer. I don't like funny noises out of my drives. I'm kinda surprised the tools didn't find anything...

Run a chkdsk /f /r on the drives. The /r causes a surface analysis of the drive to be performed.

If that doesn't find anything, run a thorough RAM test on the system.

Back