Kensington Universal PSU

I just bought a Kensington power supply for my laptop.. mine is the home/auto/air version with usb on the side.

I like the sturdy build of this product, however when I plug it in and listen ( no laptop ) it makes a bussing sound.. when I plug it into a laptop it's still there but quieter.

Can anyone else with this power supply let me know what you hear ? Is this normal ?

Mine is a refurbished unit which included everything for $50. They go for $183.99 CAD new

Anyone with Kensington Knowledge, please let me know what your experience is or has been like. Thanks

:)

What kind of laptop are you using the adapter on and what's the wattage of the Kensington adapter?

Wattage on the Kensington is 90w.

Laptop in question is an Acer TravelMate 2310. ( I'll save you the trouble.. 19V 3.42A )

Noise emits both when plugged into the laptop, or not.

Bad power brick then.

It's not unusual for a power brick to make noise if it's being taxed or is running hot. But if it's buzzing without any load at all, there's something wrong.

Just updated.. Here is my current experience with Kensington Which I would like to say I am so far very satisfied with their customer support. Very fast once the conversation starts rolling...

Before you begin reading.. I have concluded our conversations and deleted anything that should reveal my phone number, address, and the name of the support member.

Conversation followes the format of old on bottom new on top, so you will have to read from the bottom of this posting lol.. Sorry

Discussion Thread
Response (Deleted Name) 07/13/2009 01:33 PM
Dear Jordan:

Thank you for contacting Kensington Technical Support.

Thank you for replying with the information requested in the previous email. We have initiated the shipment of Power adapter(33403) and "F" tip. Please allow 10-15 working days to deliver the product at the given address. We appreciate your patience during this period.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you. For any further assistance please feel free to reply back to this email or you may want to call us on our toll-free hotline number 1800-535-4242, Mon - Fri 07:30 am to 04:30 pm PST.

Regards,

Another Deleted Name :p
Kensington Technical Support

Customer (So much editing..) 07/13/2009 01:32 PM
Hello Deleted Name,

Thank you for confirming the warrenty status of my K33403. Please go ahead with the shipping of the power adaptor and the 3 pin female tips for lagacy Dell laptops.

Do let me know if there is a tracking number as we can both follow up with current locations.

Should there be any reason to contact me via telephone number, I am available 9:00am est - 7:00pm est

Thank you.

Response (Deleted Name) 07/13/2009 12:48 PM
Dear Jordan:

Thank you for replying with the information requested in the previous email. We would like to inform you that the Power adapter is under warranty.

Also, we would like to inform you that the "F" tip is compatible with the 3 pin Dell laptop.

Please reply to this email to initiate the shipping of Power adapter(33403) and "F" tip.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to you.For any further assistance please feel free to reply back to this email or you may want to call us on our toll-free hotline number 1800-535-4242, Mon - Fri 07:30 am to 04:30 pm PST.

Regards,

Deleted Name

Customer (Jordan) 07/13/2009 12:29 PM
Hello,.

Just to confirm that those tips are the 3 pin style which Dell Inspiron 8200 uses.

My Telephone Number is ( Deleted again :p ) The shipping address is correct.

Serial Number is Deleted for Privacy, As I have read, I do have 1 ( one ) year warrenty.

Response (Hidden Name) 07/13/2009 12:04 PM
Dear Jordan:

Thank you for replying with the information requested in the previous email. This confirms that the issue is with the Power adapter(33403) and hence it needs to be replaced. In order to replace it under warranty please reply to this email with the Serial Number(for e.g.:A0540454) of adapter; so that we can determine the warranty status of it. Based on warranty we will assist you further.

As per our database, we have the below Shipping address:
Obviously not going to show you :D

Please reply to this email with your the Daytime telephone number to initiate the shipping of Power adapter and tips(H,J).

For any further assistance please feel free to reply back to this email or you may want to call us on our toll-free hotline number 1800-535-4242, Mon - Fri 07:30 am to 04:30 pm PST.

Regards,

Hidden Name

Customer (Jordan) 07/13/2009 11:12 AM
Hello Hidden Name,

I will make this message short as the website gave me a time out error and erased my other message!

I tried the adaptor in different recepticals, I also tried it at my home. The buzzing sound is consistant and becomes louder once plugged into a laptop. I have tried another laptop with its original power supply to listen for any buzzing, none was apperent.

I am left to believe that there is something wrong with the K33403 power adaptor and I do not feel safe using it with my laptops.

I am a happy customer to own and use Kensington products, which I intend to continue doing. Aswell thank you for sending out the Dell adaptor tips that I have inquired. As per this power adaptor, will I require a replacement? I will be traveling in August which I cannot afford to have any problems.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to look into my questions and also for helping me.

Thank you.

Response (Hidden Name) 07/13/2009 08:08 AM
Dear Jordan:

We are sorry to know that you are experiencing difficulties with the Power adapter(33403). We would like to inform you that we will be able to ship you the tips for Dell laptop(H,J), free of cost. As the adapter is buzzing, we request you to try using the adapter on different outlets.

Kindly reply to this email with the above observation which will enable us to assist you further.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to you.For any further assistance please feel free to reply back to this email or you may want to call us on our toll-free hotline number 1800-535-4242, Mon - Fri 07:30 am to 04:30 pm PST.

Regards,

Hidden Name

Customer (Jordan) 07/08/2009 11:38 PM
Before I forget, I would like to submit a question for technical support.

I hear a faint bussing noise from the K33403 Unit and would like to have some insight as to what this means. Noise continues when not plugged into a laptop.. and still buzzing when it is plugged into a laptop.

Thank you.

Customer (Jordan) 07/08/2009 11:33 PM
Hello, I am contacting you in regards to the legacy adaptor tips for the Kensington K33403 PSU.

I run a business which also involves laptop repairs. I would only be asking about any legacy tips you currently have for Dell.

Would you be able to provied me with these tips, and if there are any others that I am aware about.. that would be generous.

Thought I would make an updated post, Kensington has sent me their replacement power supply which has arrived today.. 10 minutes ago.

Invoice states $46.50 and the unit is brand new in a resale packaging. Now to call them up about my missing power tip for expired dell laptops

I am impressed at the turn around time ( from them to Sudbury Ontario Canada. )

Many days / few weeks later, I have received the power tip. The only thing I am noticing now is that the old power supply has a cracked jacket where the tip plugs in. But I already have it's replacement psu. So in Closing.. Kensington is Very professional with their service and with their honoured warrenty.

Back