Kenny Baker, Actor Behind R2-D2, Dies

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The guy who was behind everyone’s favorite Astromech has passed away at the age of 83. Mr. Baker began performing in 1950 at the age of 16, later forming a musical comedy act “The Mini Tones.” It wasn’t until 1977 that he would star in his most recognizable role.

The British actor who played R2-D2 in the Star Wars films has died at the age of 83 after a long illness. Kenny Baker, who was 3ft 8in tall, shot to fame in 1977 when he first played the robot character. He went on to play the character in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, as well as the three Star Wars prequels from 1999 to 2005. Baker also appeared in a number of other much-loved films in the 1980s, including The Goonies, Time Bandits and Flash Gordon.

Now this was obviously unexpected and will be something I think about all day. Saw all the original movies on their respective days of release, always wondered about how difficult being that character inside that contraption known as R2-D2 really was.

Thanks for the memories, Kenny.

I used to love the movie Time Bandits - an oddity from the 80's. I'll have to see if I can find Flash Gordon. I sort of remember watching it when I was a kid - even had a few toys I think. I don't remember Mr. Baker in it.

very sad...his health was failing for awhile which is the reason he wasn't able to play R2 in Force Awakens

I kinda figured it was a remote control contraption they used. Had no idea there was a person in there. Not exactly a sci-fi fanatic although I saw the first 2, err the 4th one and the fifth one, err whatever at the theatres when they came out.

Hats off. RIP.

I kinda figured it was a remote control contraption they used. Had no idea there was a person in there. Not exactly a sci-fi fanatic although I saw the first 2, err the 4th one and the fifth one, err whatever at the theatres when they came out.

Hats off. RIP.

First refers to

1977 or 1999?

That will clear thing up.

Other than his other great work, I had no Idea that he was in Time Bandits. I absolutely love that movie.

Other than his other great work, I had no Idea that he was in Time Bandits. I absolutely love that movie.

That's where I remember the face from. Not R2D2. Always from Time Bandits, which is an amazing movie!

The Goonies? I don't recall him in that. What role was he?

IMDB says The Goodies. I'm thinking the author misread it, possibly.

Ah the Goodies! Love that show. They made a ton of episodes so i am sure as a British actor he got in there at some point.
Thanx

Back