Keeping your case on a carpet floor?

gazza_new

Limp Gawd
Does anyone here keep their case on the floor and have a carpet? I've noticed alot of cases only have front vents at the bottom of the case. Therefore on a carpet floor its difficult for the air to get into the case! Do any of your prop your cases on planks to lift them off the carpet?

You should probably put a hard surface under it, like a piece of wood or something if you want to sit it on carpet.

Mine is on the carpet. Though the front vent is about 1.5 inches off the carpet since my case is so tall.

And if it's that close to the floor, put some fan filters in your rig, if you haven't already done so.

It's amazing just how much crud you can suck into a case sitting down there, even if you vacuum/sweep regularly. My old Gateway (last system I bought, now I build my own) didn't even have a front intake fan (old AMD Athlon 750), and after a year the inside looked like a dust bunny had crapped all over it! :eek: ;)

I kept my old case on the floor, and it got just as dirty down there, as it did on my desk. Though, it would be good to put a spacer under it for airflow.

hi i keep mines on the floor on carpet. there is a kinda alot of cool air down there "just my opinion" but theres ta dust problem. i vacuum like every 3 days ? :confused: ? "i dont even kno lol" but i hav to clean my fan filters like every 2 - 4 weeks cause the filters get covered wit dust which blocks the space for the fan to draw in cool air. if i dont clean the fans for a month my temps are at 45 idle and after cleaning 35-38 idle which is a huge differents to me. :D

Its acually good to keep it at least 4-6" off the ground so all the hair and dirt doesnt suck into the case from the intake fans.

The one good thing about my aercool jet case is the fucking huge intake.

it can be on anything and get airflow :cool:

With my P160 I have it set on the carpet w/o problems. But the intake fan isn't one of those that have the little slits on the bottom but 3 nice big slits about an inch or 2 from the bottom. Plus it came with a nice filter so I'm quite fine with it being on the carpet.

I have a Antec Super Lanboy on the Carpet, but the fan sucks from the front and doesnt suck air at the bottom of case

If you can elevate the case slightly I think it would improve airflow and possibly introduce less dust into your system.

in my old house, AC vents were on the floor... too bad i was only 12 and had no computer :p

dang that would be some awesome cooling

mine is on the carpet but it has wheels on it.. so i ono :p ..god i love my coolermaster stacker heh

dscn25836bh.jpg

For my Lian Li PC6070 I stacked two 19" long and 8" wide pieces of cedar under it and bound them together with left over zip ties, after I did this I noticed a ~3C - 5C drop in my case temps, the carpet was seriously restricting the airflow.

Here is a quick picture I took:

wood.jpg

Pets, children and carpet . . .

I have not kept a PC on the floor for many years nor do I allow any of the 70 PCs I maintain at work to reside on the floor. Fan failures due to dust have been maybe 3 in the last 5 years.

If you keep your home clean and don't have pets, then keeping your PC on a carpeted floor will be OK as long as the carpet doesn't interfere with fresh air intake.

jacobb said:
mine is on the carpet but it has wheels on it.. so i ono :p ..god i love my coolermaster stacker heh

dscn25836bh.jpg

i know the feeling - same set up for me - bottom vents, wheels! i loved it, till i sold it :D looking forward to the stacker 2 (830)

My new apartment has some deep ass carpet and the last thing I wanted to do was freaking dust my computer more then my folks house. I moved my case up onto my desk instead.

I've got mine lying on it's side on the carpet. After about a year the heatsink is completely gummed up with dust and gunk and the fan blades are now about twice as thick as the original. Not to mention random reboots. I think I need a proper desk.

lol i left mine on a carpet for about 2 years... every1 once in a while i'd get a HUGE shock, and the thing would reboot.... I recently moved to an apartment with hardwood floors so I will never need to worry about that again...

My "Demon II" is on carpet but i all so have feet things on it.

I made 2 long things out of cardboard for my case fans to sit on because i have the same problem having 2 case fans at the front bottom and it being on carpet really licks it up

My raidmax has 4 80mm fan slots in the front. but, where the drilled holes in the sheetmetal for the fans to suck air through, they used tiny holes gapped far apart. Result? Fans scream and wail against a vaccume, while moving less air than my 30mm laptop fan.

I have two 80mm fans on the side under my bling bling window. Sitting on the carpet, or sitting inside a cubby hole in my desk with a door that shuts, it gets really dusty.

Mine's on carpet. My brother-in-law uses his on a wooden floor (laminate) and he gets TONS of dust in his case. Maybe because it's easier to pull dust across a lower friction surface? I don't know. I think my carpet acts like a filter (of sorts) in it's own right.

Just my 2p :)

Mine sits on the carpet and I have a dog and a cat. I have 2 front 80mm intake fans and all the air is sucked from the bottom of the front. I just prop the front of the floor on a little board and have filters on my front fan. I do period interior cleaning I do get dusty. But it hasn't benn much of a problem.

shoes said:
in my old house, AC vents were on the floor... too bad i was only 12 and had no computer :p

dang that would be some awesome cooling

Condensation would be an issue I'd think.

all of my families computers have always been on the floor both hardwood and carpet even before cases came with fans :eek: and haven't had a serious problem that we could attribute to dust and we have a bunch of animals (dogs, cats, birds) and can't vacume all the time ether, we just clean the dust out as best we can when we have the side panel open for some reason. I don't think there's any way to keep dust out of your system completely although they do help quite a bit.
But what really annoys me is that thin layer of dust and stuff that builds up on the bottom of the case because i cant get it out of my case but i've had an idea about putting an exaust fan on the bottom of the case to push dust out, the case would need to be raised by some wheels but i think it could do some good for dust and circulation.

Back