Keeping a tablet charged when tethered?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I'm currently visiting relatives with no internet connection, so I'm using my tablet over USB tethering, but when I do this the tablet's power slowly drains (it even warns me its "slow charging" despite this being a USB3 root port) anyone have any idea how I can keep it from dying just from watching a few movies? (my random thought is some kind of two-headed cable that does data on one side and high-wattage charging on the other?)

Also, wifi is not working, so wired tethering is the only option right now... Powered USB hub doesn't seem to make a difference either...

Suggestions?

Slow charging sounds like either the port is not giving you the full gusto or the cable cant deliver the power. Port on the tablet could be an issue as well but sounds more like a lower quality cable giving you what it can so your usage drains more than it can charge up.

Slow charging sounds like either the port is not giving you the full gusto or the cable cant deliver the power. Port on the tablet could be an issue as well but sounds more like a lower quality cable giving you what it can so your usage drains more than it can charge up.
Nah, whenever you have a USB data connection to a PC, power output is limited to ~550mA usually, even if using USB 3 because many newer phones and tablets still only support USB 2 and even if they do support USB 3, I've only seen my USB 3 devices negotiate the ~550mA rate when plugged in to a PC with a data connection using Ampere app and observing very slow charging speeds or discharging if using display and using a lot of cellular data (similar to what OP is doing). Note that most Android devices prompt you to select a data or charging mode when plugged into a PC, so my assumption is that when you select one of the data transfer modes, charging will be limted to that 550mA rate. But if you select "charging only", it will negotiate the maximum rate available from the PC. Also note that power available on most PCs are on a shared hub/circuit, so any additional peripherals or devices that you have plugged in may limit how much power your tablet is able to draw even further.

OP, unfortunately there's really no way around it if you're restricted to wired tethering. Unless Bluetooth tethering is an option so you can plug it into a proper charger, though BT data rate is much slower so it may impact your internet speeds depending on what you're doing.

I don't think a split cable would work either if a powered USB hub doesn't work, but may be worth a try though. I would recommend using your phone or another device if possible to do WiFi tethering or USB tethering may be better on another device as well since newer phones/tablets have more efficient SoCs and modems, which would allow them to maintain charge at least since their power draw will be below that 550mA threshold.

Last edited:
Back