Keepass or 1Password?

One is a freeware and the other is an expensive piece of software. Which one is the easiest to use? My inclination is to use Keepass and or Lastpass since they're free. I don't really know what advantages 1Password provides that the free solutions doesn't.

I used keepass about 2 years ago and it was pretty easy to use. Now I just write everything down because I lost my keepass data file thing that keeps the passwords so it ended up not being all that useful for me anyways. I tend to lose things easier on my pc than physically because I forget where I put stuff in random folders which I eventually delete because I named them something dumb or it had the same name as another folder so I deleted it but it didn't have the same contents.

I use Keepass, it's reliable password manager and absolutely for free.

I was going to post something similar. Sharepoint and Office is NASTY when it comes to credentials, prompting you each and every time you open a document. Microsoft wanted to replace Exchange Public Folder with Sharepoint which is fine except this unacceptable behavior.

Most of HP's computers come with their subpar HP Credential Manager (works, but it's extremely intrusive), but not everyone uses HP computers. I'll give these software a try and hopefully it'll work.

I can't get LastPass to recognize Sharepoint 2010 log-in. Bleh.

I was keepass all the way, but syncing and poor browser support got me thinking. 1Password is too expensive for what it does, so I just signed up for lastpass premium and loving it so far!

I use Keepass, it's reliable password manager and absolutely for free.

just started using it myself and love it, i am making it mandatory in our office for password storage for all users going forth because of it's ease of use, but good security when using a master password and the pass file.

Lastpass you can format you pc. You just reinstall the add on voila all your passwords there again. Love it

I use keepass + portable + dropbox to keep everything in check. Only downside is I need to use v1.0 as there isn't a Mac version for 2.0 yet.

You guys are showing some Lastpass love, will that work multi-platform? Can it import my Keepass data? I'll look it up, but still good info to know.

no problems with keypass yet.

I used to just keep a 256mb truecrypt volume (on USB drive) that had an "password protected" Excel 97 worksheet. That also worked reasonable well.

...and virtually all mobile devices via their App as well!

+1 for LastPass

I also use KeePass + Dropbox. Just make sure to have a strong master password.

I have all my clients use LastPass however, they love it. I personally like KeePass because it's a simple interface and you can log documents and other data such as serial numbers etc.

I will have to recommend Lastpass. I will state 2 things though. It doesn't organize them all that well in my opinion. Also, if it is not a browser based it doesn't pick up and ask you to store the information.

Lastpass, I used keepass then I found lastpass and love it. When I finally get a "Smart Phone" maybe I will use the mobile version.

1Password here. Love having it available on all my devices and operating systems!

I haven't used these free alternatives, but I really like 1Password and feel like it's worth the cost. I initially came across it during a Machiest bundle when I was running a Hackintosh system, and it's awesomeness surprised me. I don't know how much it costs, I think I paid 20 bucks for a Windows license as part of some kind of upgrade program, but I am pretty satisfied with my purchase.

I may have to check out some of these free alternatives to see how they compare.

I don't know about you guys, but Notepad + USB flash drive, gets the job done just fine.

Too insecure for my tastes. Also to much work to search, copy and paste. I have well over 100 accounts online so maybe that is the difference.

I now use LastPass. However I am still concerned with the security in that. I mean I know the data is encrypted however I am not sure how secure the encryption is.

Was using LastPass, after the 'network breach" today/yesterday, I switched to KeePass. LastPass is convenient, but the hack was too disconcerting.

How is the Lastpass bandwagon holding up after getting hacked? ;)

I used to use a password protected .xlsx file inside a truecrypt container though am going to shortly begin using KeePass.

1Password here. Worth the money, in my opinion, for the quality of the software and the excellent integration with the browsers.

How is the Lastpass bandwagon holding up after getting hacked? ;)

I used to use a password protected .xlsx file inside a truecrypt container though am going to shortly begin using KeePass.

they didn't steal the peoples data because unlike Sony the data is encrypted and the keys are on the users pc. so good luck decrypting the data.

And truecrypt is basically useless if you encrypt just a few files on your hdd and not the whole drive. Truecrypt is useless once malware is on your pc.

Any encryption is useless if you get malware on your PC, if you decrypt your stuff while the malware is running. Malware could target lastpass just as easily as access your truecrypt stuff, and get your lastpass master password and transmit it back to the malwriter.

Lastpass? Yea right, like I am going to trust my passwords on a remote server. Never.

Lastpass? Yea right, like I am going to trust my passwords on a remote server. Never.

FWIW The data is encrypted before it leaves your PC. LastPass cannot access your vault, and they do not know your master password and cannot reset it (If you lose your master password you're out of luck).

Maybe so but I still would rather not, especially after the Sony fiasco.

Maybe so but I still would rather not, especially after the Sony fiasco.

Maybe you should just stop using the internet altogether because that is the only way your going to safeguard yourself from ever risking data theft.

they didn't steal the peoples data because unlike Sony the data is encrypted and the keys are on the users pc. so good luck decrypting the data.

And truecrypt is basically useless if you encrypt just a few files on your hdd and not the whole drive. Truecrypt is useless once malware is on your pc.

I love the rebuttals - Lastpass bandwagoners injecting FUD and theoretical scenarios with no real world backing. Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

I'm considering starting to use keepass, at least for my most valuable credentials (banks, email, stores), forums etc don't think I'll bother with. But starting to think it will be a pain if I want to check my email at a friend's computer, my parent's place etc. I won't be able to get my password! Would I need to always carry the file with me on a USB, or possibly dropbox?

And if I somehow forget the master password, or corrupt the database or something, I would then be locked out of my email, which i'd need to reset the other passwords.. Wow, talk about screwed! This is starting to sound like more work/danger then just remembering a good password algorithm.

Oooorrrr you could back up a copy when you change/add info to Keepass to avoid the risk of corrupt data. In my case, USB since I don't make changes often and have a key that stores copies of all important info for emergency use. I don't have to use the USB for my on the go use since Keepass is also on my phone (updated by Dropbox).

As for forgetting the master password, I cheat and use the "4word" method. 4 unrelated words and a picture representing them. "correcthorsestaplebattery" is represented by a horse sayinng "that's right" while looking at a battery with a staple in it. I remember the master password and if someone else finds the picture they just think I'm either a bad artist or have kids around the house. Pix can be left in docs, phone, wallet, surgically implanted into a marmot, lot of options.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Don't have smartphone so that's a slight issue for on the go access, but I'm sure I there's a way to figure something out, just not as convenient.

Back