Keep Windows from installing drivers?

mrgstiffler

[H]F Junkie
I think the network drivers on a laptop I'm working on have become corrupt. If I uninstall the drivers and reboot to reinstall fresh downloaded ones Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers it has for it. Is there any way to prevent it from doing so?

when the new hardware wizard comes up, hit cancel. Or if you cant do that, just update the drivers with your own

Safe mode.

Remove bad device, and restart, but before windows can boot up normally hit f5 to enter safemode. Once in safe mode, install new drivers.

Voila

Party2go9820 said:
Safe mode.

Remove bad device, and restart, but before windows can boot up normally hit f5 to enter safemode. Once in safe mode, install new drivers.

Voila

and its F8 for safe mode ;)

f8 brings up the boot menu, f5 takes you directly into safemode (or vice versa. I can't ever remember so I just pound them both :))

Party2go9820 said:
f8 brings up the boot menu, f5 takes you directly into safemode (or vice versa. I can't ever remember so I just pound them both :))

lol, f8 brings you the boot menu to take you into safe mode ;)

-(Xyphox)- said:
lol, f8 brings you the boot menu to take you into safe mode ;)

Actually F5 brings up the boot menu as well - I just did it on an XP box. I know that back in the Windows 95 days F5 took you directly into safe mode - no menu or anything. Holding shift did the same thing, but MS removed that completely.

Regardless of how you get there, safe mode is the answer to the OP.

Back