Keep Unlimited Verizon Plan - What Android Phone to Buy?

raiderj

Limp Gawd
I'm currently using an original Droid RAZR MAXX, and after two years it's hitting a wall. Battery life is still good, but it's gotten slow and buggy, even with a wipe/reload/root/clean-up. So, figure it's time for a new phone.

The problem is that I want to keep my unlimited data plan, which requires me to buy a new phone. I really like the Moto G, but it doesn't work on Verizon. It looks like my best option may be the Moto X? Any other suggestions?

I'd like to spend <$400 if possible. Curious what others have found the best option to be.

Moto X is pretty solid, but do you have to have brand new?

I have to buy the phone, but it could be a used phone. I just can't get a subsidized phone through Verizon, since they would remove my unlimited data plan.

Moto X is the best phone for the money on Verizon. You can get that brand new for $300. And it'll be fast and smooth out of the box. It also has great non-gimmicky functionalities. Get that or an used HTC One 2013 (M7).

Moto X, Droid Maxx, LG G2 are all possible for <$400 if you buy used. And Moto X can be had new for that price. You can also get the Galaxy S3/S4 as well as the HTC One series. Really that's a generous price point when you are looking for used phones.

Moto X is the best phone for the money on Verizon. You can get that brand new for $300. And it'll be fast and smooth out of the box. It also has great non-gimmicky functionalities. Get that or an used HTC One 2013 (M7).

Where have you seen it new for $300?

Moto X, Droid Maxx, LG G2 are all possible for <$400 if you buy used. And Moto X can be had new for that price. You can also get the Galaxy S3/S4 as well as the HTC One series. Really that's a generous price point when you are looking for used phones.

What I was going to say.

I'd stay away from the S4/M7 One though if going used.

So far a new Moto X from the Motorola website seems like a decent deal. You can get it customized too, which is a nice touch over used. Anyone gone that route and activated the phone with Verizon? I figure I'll have to be vigilant during the process to make sure they don't remove my unlimited plan.

Where have you seen it new for $300?
Moto X's current regular price is $400, but Moto keeps on having $100 off sales seemingly every other month (since Black Friday) straight from Motorola. Its current sale is $339 with educational discount (valid .edu address required).

I have the Moto X (on Republic Wireless) and it's excellent. I'd highly recommend it. The Active Display feature is amazing.

Moto X's current regular price is $400, but Moto keeps on having $100 off sales seemingly every other month (since Black Friday) straight from Motorola. Its current sale is $339 with educational discount (valid .edu address required).

Would definitely pick it up for $300. Don't have access to an .edu account, but I could definitely wait for the next special.

I was in this same boat about 5 months ago and went with an HTC One (M7). I'm very very happy with it. Just make sure you get clear pictures as the aluminum unibody shows dents and dings easily.. I looked on Swappa but ended up getting one off eBay. Moto X and LG G2 are great choices as well. Of the two I'd go G2 for specs and hackability.

I'm currently using an original Droid RAZR MAXX, and after two years it's hitting a wall. Battery life is still good, but it's gotten slow and buggy, even with a wipe/reload/root/clean-up. So, figure it's time for a new phone.

The problem is that I want to keep my unlimited data plan, which requires me to buy a new phone. I really like the Moto G, but it doesn't work on Verizon. It looks like my best option may be the Moto X? Any other suggestions?

I'd like to spend <$400 if possible. Curious what others have found the best option to be.

You didn't search google did you :)

Basically you use your upgrade for another verizon account (transfer the upgrade). Buy the phone with contract on that account (which does not have an unlimited plan). Swap the account the phone is assigned to to your account. Then cancel the dataplan for the non unlimited account. This allows you to upgrade for contract price and keep your unlimited data plan. Read through that thread they have a solution for just about everything.

Hope this helps. I'm waiting for the S5 to compare to the new HTC and then will sign up for a new contract AND keep my unlimited plan.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon-72.html

I like the new moto phones, but the technology they are using is a bit behind the times so I fear I will end up with another slow buggy phone if I went that route (I have the same phone you have and it has the same problems)

Last edited:
You can sign up for a new contract if you want a subsidized phone. In that case it's still better to get a phone with highest resale (e.g. iPhone 5S), sell it and use the money to buy an unlocked GPE device of your choice - you will have a better experience and less bloat.

I thought about doing the whole contract/phone plan swap, but it seems like more hassle than it's worth. Plus, then you have to pay on the other line. Not sure that really makes sense if I can get a Moto X for $300.

Unless I'm missing how great that option is? I don't have a second line to utilize for it.

You can sign up for a new contract if you want a subsidized phone. In that case it's still better to get a phone with highest resale (e.g. iPhone 5S), sell it and use the money to buy an unlocked GPE device of your choice - you will have a better experience and less bloat.

He's on Verizon. There are no GPE phones compatible with Verizon. Also, I don't think that's worth the cost of getting an extra line, even if you downgrade it to a standard phone line.

I thought about doing the whole contract/phone plan swap, but it seems like more hassle than it's worth. Plus, then you have to pay on the other line. Not sure that really makes sense if I can get a Moto X for $300.

Unless I'm missing how great that option is? I don't have a second line to utilize for it.

It's what $10 a month for an extra line added to your account? Give it to a family member or something :) Also I do not think and GPE devices will work with verizon, but I'm not 100% on that, maybe verizon just does not offer them?

It's what $10 a month for an extra line added to your account? Give it to a family member or something :) Also I do not think and GPE devices will work with verizon, but I'm not 100% on that, maybe verizon just does not offer them?

I think it's $15/mo? But even if it's $10/mo, that's $240 over the course of two years. Not really worth it in my opinion. Maybe if I had a use for the extra phone, but I already have the TMobile 200MB plan (free) for an emergency phone.

Back