Keep the 5 year old H80, or get a new H115i?

I don't think radiators decrease case airflow. They often increase overall case airflow simply because of the vent and fan area they use adds more case flwo. But they do decrease airflow over the surface of motherboard in the CPU area and this can result in higher motherboard component temps. But this same airflow over motherboard problem is increased by tall RAM with foo-foo 'heat spreaders' on components that never overheat with no foo-foo attached to them.

I should have clarified that they restrict airflow given the same number of fans at the same speed.

The noctua D15S is a very nice fit in my 750D case. Ample room. HUGE ram + video card clearance. Absolutely no issues.

VERY easy to install, one of the easiest coolers to install that I have ever handled. Very safe and sturdy hardware. I like it.
Just saving me drama over the water coolers. It works, and once it's there, it's always working.... forever.

It looks intimidating, but its really easy to install and it cools like a dream. Also, the fans supplied with it are very quiet and very effective.

Here is the NH D-15 installed on my 6700K system,
tmp_15427-20170110_210929-184054747.jpg
There stuff is top notch but in the end I have reservations about hanging that much weight off of a motherboard so I went with the Corsair H100I V2

There stuff is top notch but in the end I have reservations about hanging that much weight off of a motherboard so I went with the Corsair H100I V2
I had some fear also, but with the sturdy backplate that comes with it, and the anchor system, unless you throw the case on the ground, I don't see any issues.
I would remove the tower to ship the pc (but I'll never ship it anyway....).

The corsair is a good choice for sure also.

It funny how many times I hear people worry about big coolers damaging motherboards, but have yet to see a motherboard or CPU damaged by a big cooler that didn't get seriously abusive handling .. like throwing the case off of a desk or over a 6' fence kind of abuse. ;)

All Corsair fans that I have come across on AIO are insanely loud.I have multiple systems, Air & Watercooled, Corsair, DIY, Noctua etc...

My conclusion ( as of now ) is:

If air cooler, ONLY Noctua !!! Excellent fans and quality. The retention is good enough to give peace of mind unless you wanna ship it to NZ via UPS-Express.

If AIO....forget that....not truely an option, at least not Corsair ( I own a H110,my son's rig ). Too loud first off, had to buy 2 Noctua's for 50€ total to make it acceptable. Too little mass. If that thing is heated up it cannot compete with my DIY Custom Loop WC. The reason is too little mass and water to absorb the energy you feed into it. YOur fans need to spin like crazy and WC is supposed toi be cool AND quiet same time. With 2 x 140mm it may be cool but for sure not quiet, no matter how you turn it. Other AIO vendors may have silent fans right away included, saves you 50, but you still have very limited cooling mass and thus will run into high spinning fans sooner or later when gaming hard or benching, rippin videos..whatever.

I would invest in a DIY-WC. If you dont like the idea of water inside your PC, I dont like it either, take an external Radiator along with externally placed pump and res. Makes refilling and air bleeding a lot easier, Add a Y-coupler and a drain valve and you are very comfortable. Add quick disconnectors too to take any part out ( GPU for example ) and reconnect the CPU only.

It might not be the BEST looking cooling loop, but it is very reliable and service friendly.

External rads sell for not much more than internal but offer 3-5x the surface. I can oc with 0dB to 5GHz for a LONG time until I need my fans. For ordinary desktop work and half load things my rad-fans are OFF ( 4 x 180mm ).

THAT, you can keep, adopt, clean, take apart, reuse. An AIO you can THROW AWAY after a few years.

my 2 cents

Bit

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I had some fear also, but with the sturdy backplate that comes with it, and the anchor system, unless you throw the case on the ground, I don't see any issues.
I would remove the tower to ship the pc (but I'll never ship it anyway....).

The corsair is a good choice for sure also.

I would love to see someone try that though! put the biggest hsf possible on an old dead system then drop it from 2-3 feet. see how big of a chunk of the mobo does or doesn't get ripped out.

I feel the same way about most modern graphics cards too. Thankfully my MSI motherboard has reinforced PCI Express slots.

I feel the same way about most modern graphics cards too. Thankfully my MSI motherboard has reinforced PCI Express slots.
well, they are held by 2 screws to the case.... that pretty much does the job of relieving the mobo stress imo

All Corsair fans that I have come across on AIO are insanely loud.I have multiple systems, Air & Watercooled, Corsair, DIY, Noctua etc...

My conclusion ( as of now ) is:

If air cooler, ONLY Noctua !!! Excellent fans and quality. The retention is good enough to give peace of mind unless you wanna ship it to NZ via UPS-Express.

If AIO....forget that....not truely an option, at least not Corsair ( I own a H110,my son's rig ). Too loud first off, had to buy 2 Noctua's for 50€ total to make it acceptable. Too little mass. If that thing is heated up it cannot compete with my DIY Custom Loop WC. The reason is too little mass and water to absorb the energy you feed into it. YOur fans need to spin like crazy and WC is supposed toi be cool AND quiet same time. With 2 x 140mm it may be cool but for sure not quiet, no matter how you turn it. Other AIO vendors may have silent fans right away included, saves you 50, but you still have very limited cooling mass and thus will run into high spinning fans sooner or later when gaming hard or benching, rippin videos..whatever.

I would invest in a DIY-WC. If you dont like the idea of water inside your PC, I dont like it either, take an external Radiator along with externally placed pump and res. Makes refilling and air bleeding a lot easier, Add a Y-coupler and a drain valve and you are very comfortable. Add quick disconnectors too to take any part out ( GPU for example ) and reconnect the CPU only.

It might not be the BEST looking cooling loop, but it is very reliable and service friendly.

External rads sell for not much more than internal but offer 3-5x the surface. I can oc with 0dB to 5GHz for a LONG time until I need my fans. For ordinary desktop work and half load things my rad-fans are OFF ( 4 x 180mm ).

THAT, you can keep, adopt, clean, take apart, reuse. An AIO you can THROW AWAY after a few years.

my 2 cents

Bit

To correct your 2 cents:

Mass (aka volume of coolant) has nothing to do with it. Coolant volume only affects the amount of time it takes to reach equilibrium point. Larger volumes will take longer, but in the end, two systems that differ only in coolant volume would reach the same temperature.

Everyone has different opinions of what quiet is. Quiet for me means that it doesn't disturb me. My system is definitely audible, and I would consider it quiet. Others will not. D5 pumps at max RPM are anything but silent, but I leave them at max because they're the older non-PWM versions, and the noise doesn't bother me.

With "mass" I mainly mean the size and weight of the massive external Radiator that is about as big as my Corsair 500r Tower. That DOES make a difference and equillibrium eventually gets shifted UP if the mass you throw in the game reaches a certain amount where the energy induced will NOT be enough to keep it up to the same amount of heat as with less surface and "mass", as this surface also dissipates heat.

Sure, pure Liters of cooling fluid will not help, unless you have 50-100L...there you get to what I said, cause 1 GPU and 1 CPU will never heat up that much mass with the minimum surface it has to have to be what it is.

You can try to heat a 5L bowl with a cigarette lighter...it will NEVER boil..maybe this explains it better. Sure, it only applies in limits and depends on many factors, I for example can run my system mostly without any active fan cooling for the rad, only when I push the system in gaming or VMware I need ther fans to spin ( 4 x 180mm ). For anything else the pure passive heat dissipation is plenty.

What you say applies to a AIO 2x120mm or 3x140mm with limited thickness and weight, no doubt. I have all those watercooling systems myself and do know the difference quite well. No AIO I have seen got close to my Watercool setup with the MoRa3 radiator and Heatkiller-IV block.

BTW..Using Eheim Ceramic pump, I cannot hear it at all at 55Hz and it pumps plenty at that setting, no need to turn Hz higher until you could hear it ( and wear it out too ).

watercool.de look for MoRa3 external radiator, the 360 accepts 4x180 instead of 9x120mm also, cheaper and less noise.

Silent is when I dont hear my PC :D Ever since I had that AMD 1.4GHz Thunderbird I am spoiled...no more loud PC's :) No more screaming CPU fans !!

Back