Keep the 2ghz macbook or buy the 1.83ghz macbook pro?

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 5, 2002
Messages
8,910
So I found a Macbook Pro on craig's list in my area for $1050 and I can pick it up in person tomorrow afternoon.

1.83ghz
512mb
80gb
15" matte screen


I currently have
2.0ghz macbook
2gb ram
160gb hard drive
13" glossy screen.


From the looks of it I can get about $800-900 for my macbook with the original 80gb hard drive and 1gb of ram.

I would take the 2gb out of my macbook and the 160gb hard drive and swap it to the MBP.


Would the macbook pro be a good upgrade? I know I would be going from C2D to "Core duo" Which is a step backwards, but the thinner profile, bigger screen and better video card are big advantages for me, but will the slower (and older) cpu slow me down?

Thanks,
Zac
 

t5brick

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 26, 2001
Messages
7,447
Unless you really NEED the bigger screen, I would stick with the 2GHz MacBook.

Basically, you're going to be trading in a computer that is probably less than a year old for the very first revision of MacBook Pro that came out on 2006.
 

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 5, 2002
Messages
8,910
Yeah, I am thinking of waiting it out and picking up a current MBP from the apple refurb store, that way I get the warrantee and a "real" upgrade.

Just for reference, my macbook is Revision B (Nov. 2006)
 

TheCreator

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
3,173
Yeah, I am thinking of waiting it out and picking up a current MBP from the apple refurb store, that way I get the warrantee and a "real" upgrade.

Just for reference, my macbook is Revision B (Nov. 2006)

Buying one of the newer mbp's would be the way to go :)
 

Mad_Pyro

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
2,015
You would also likely be giving up a good 45 minute to an hour of battery life. Noting that you have an SLR, I would consider testing out a friend's Macbook Pro to get a feel for the screen. I know I personally hate working with photos on my Macbook due to the garbage screen they shipped this thing with. On that merit alone, I would make the switch. However, what really matters are your priorities - the Macbook Pro isn't much older than your Macbook. It has a MUCH better screen and graphics subsystem and you would plan on rectifying the ram and hdd shortcomings.

I would make the switch, but only if I could definitely get that $800-$900 for my Macbook. Keep us posted.
 

alex2792

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 5, 2003
Messages
200
Your MacBook is faster so don't do it uness you absolutely HAVE to have discreet video but the x1600 that comes with the early MBP is really no better than GMA950/X3100 for gaming anyhow.
 

El Spic

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 13, 2002
Messages
1,249
stick with yours and get a external 22" for photowork. It is noticeably faster using 2 CS3 programs at the same time when using the C2D MB.
 

rennyf77

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
2,865
the core duo chips are equivalent in performance to the amd x2 processors. the core 2 variants walk all over the formerly mentioned cpu's, especially in content creation.
 

taylorwilsdon

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
2,286
Core Duo is awful. I would wait until you can get a Santa Rosa (recent generation, LED backlit screen, C2D) for ~$1300 on Apple's refurb store, with a full year warranty and possibility of Applecare. Much better deal for only 300 or so bucks more.
 

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
7,162
Stick with your Macbook until you can find a good deal on a C2D MBP. The MB will hold its value longer. When I got my MBP, I sold my white MB for more than I paid for it. Stick a 4GB RAM kit ($80 from NewEgg) in your MB, mention that such an upgrade would cost over $700 from Apple, then list your MB's price about $300 more than it cost you. Ya gotta love the innocent ignorance of eBayers!! :p
 
Top