Keep Stacker 830SE or get the P190???

Which way to go???

• Keep the Stacker 830SE

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Get the Antec P190

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Neither of these, get something else (put suggestions in thread)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Wait for revised P19x to come out

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

yenniedn

2[H]4U
Hello fellow [H] nuts:

Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't decide if I want to dump but perfectly functional CM 830SE black case and get the Antec P190 case. I've been reading and reading and reading up on the P190 and, while it does have it's flaws, it is still a very intriguing case.

I've had a couple of revisions of the Stacker 830 and know it like the back of my hand by now so it's fairly easy for me to work with it. And it certainly "ain't broke" so you know what they say about fixing what ain't broke.

My system specs are in my signature so you get an idea of what components will be going in there. Here's what I see as pros/cons for each:

CM Stacker 830SE:

Pros:
* removeable mobo tray (very handy)
* lots of fans (I now have 9x120 fans installed after finding the two 'hidden' spots on the underside of case)
* can use most high end tower HSF's
* roomy PSU area; can fit just about any PSU out there
* rooms for lots of drives
* fairly heavy but has wheels so easy to move as needed

Cons:
* black finish is fragile, tough to keep clean (wish I would've stuck with silver one)
* aluminum parts can bend and deform over time if you fiddle with your system a lot like I do
* some parts can rattle
* can be kind of loud due to open design and fans (one of my primary dislikes but I can live with this more than the next reason below)
* very hard to manage cables neatly (this is really my main complaint and reason to look for new case)

Antec P190:

Pros:
* very good cable management
* can be quieter than the 830SE is; love the sound dampening panels
* clean; looks nice :)
* sturdy design
* BIG ass fan - lots of cooling at lower noise

Cons:
* limited PSU choices; don't really want to use the 2x Antec PSU's
* cramped PSU area if you use aftermarket PSU's
* not as SLI friendly on 8800gtx's since bottom card tends to run hot
* fewer hard drive spaces
* no removeable mobo tray
* back-breakingly heavy
* relatively high cost (especially if you're not going to use the included PSU's)
* BIG ass fan - prevents use of many tower HSF unless you mod the fan to the outside of case

Did I miss anything? Any thoughts?

I'd have to believe that Antec will release a "better" P190 (i.e. P192) next year like they did with the evolution of the P180 --> P180B ---> P182 --> P182SE cases.

What do you think? I'm totally undecided so sway me one way or another ;)

BTW, I'm not looking to any of the P180 or P182's because they are too narrow lengthwise for the PSU and 8800gtx's that I want to use. The P190 is a good 2 to 4 inches longer, which fits my needs better.

Hmmmm, surprisingly little love for the P190, huh?

I tore my entire system apart, yet again, tonight to put in my latest Q6600 CPU (and thank goodness, this one finally booted in Vista at 3.60GHz!!! Praise da lawd!!!) and I have to admit, the Stacker isn't a bad case. Cable management still sucks but I think I am going to stick with it for at least awhile longer for now.

Thanks for saving me ~$400, guys! ;)

Upon further consideration, the verdict is:

TJ09boxes.jpg

Back