Keep my OCZ Powerstream 520w?

Volume

2[H]4U
I'm in the middle of building a new system and need to decide whether to keep my existing OCZ Powerstream 520w or to go for the next PSU on my wishlist: Corsair 620HX

The system will include:
Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition
BFGTech 8800GT OC 512MB
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 RAM
2 to 3 SATA HDD's: One of them a high-RPM Raptor, the rest being 4,200rpm.
2 optical drives
Sound Blaster X-Fi

My main concern is whether 520w will be enough to have a stable overclock for the CPU, let alone comfortably run it at stock? Been out of the PC-building scene for a while :)

Thank you!

The 520 should power your system. It should also have enough power for a good overclock.

Depends on if you are also looking for a quiet PSU.

Is your Powerstream the older model with the green led? If so, then that is the exact psu I had before I swapped it out for a 620HX for my current build. The 620HX is much quieter than my Powerstream 520W.

The Powerstream is a very good psu, and is still very capable of powering todays new builds.

Depends on if you are also looking for a quiet PSU.

Is your Powerstream the older model with the green led? If so, then that is the exact psu I had before I swapped it out for a 620HX for my current build. The 620HX is much quieter than my Powerstream 520W.

The Powerstream is a very good psu, and is still very capable of powering todays new builds.

Mine is the one with the blue LED. I had the green one at first (which was non-SLI) and the fan on it died. I sent it out for warranty replacement and OCZ (being the AWESOME company they are) upgraded me to the blue LED SLI version. I'm a loyal OCZ customer after that, but wanted to make sure this thing could still handle the load.

Judging from the replies, it can. Thanks! Saved me around $150 ;)

I've got the green LED Powerstream. It powers my system wonderfully, and has for the couple years I've owned it (I think going on 2 1/2-3 years now). I say keep it, it's a great PSU.

You got a pretty beefy system, my has less specs and i have a 850 watt psu, i think you should consider giving it some real nice power. Keep in mind your psu is what feeds everything! so its pretty important

You got a pretty beefy system, my has less specs and i have a 850 watt psu, i think you should consider giving it some real nice power. Keep in mind your psu is what feeds everything! so its pretty important

Sorry, but I think you may be mistaken about the first part :)

You are right, a PSU is a very important part, although I have a feeling that less than half of that 850w that you recommend will be more than enough.

By the way, guys, I ordered my system:

Athlon X2 5000+ BE
BIOSTAR TA770 Mobo
2x1GB DDR2 800 RAM
ZALMAN 9500A HSF
**and all the things in the original post, excluding the X-Fi for now.

Thanks for all your input!

I own the OCZ Powerstream 520w and I wouldn't give it up.

I still run my Dual Core opteron 275, 2GB of ram, 120GB HDD, Palit 8800GT 1GB video card and watercooling all on the power supply.

Its a beast.

Back