Keep my 9800GTX or get one of the new cards?

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
Yup... in amongst a slew of 'what should I do' threads that are cluttering up the GPU subforums I've fallen victim to the temptation to make my own thread.

I'll make it sort of short and sweet though:

Given the system stats in my sig, would I be crazy to sell my 9800GTX and buy a GTX260, a GTX280, or even a 4870? Or should I just hang onto the 9800GTX for awhile and see what crops up in terms of price drops on the nvidia side.

I do love my 9800GTX even though I got royally assraped by nvidia buying it on launch day... but I constantly have that itch to have the latest and greatest toy.

What say you, [H]ard|Brethren?

I do have the option - my step-up window ends on July 1st. And I'm pretty sure EVGA will give me what I paid for the 9800GTX, if that's true that will be great given the way the 9800GTX price has fallen in the last month.

in your situation i would step-up. especially now the 9800gtx is going for $199.

last week i sold my 9800gtx and got in on the hd4850 for $149 at best buy. upgraded to 2 hd4850's.

If you can step up, do so if you feel like. From what I've seen is that the 9800GTX, GTX+ and the 4850 all seem to perform about the same.

A GTX 260 might be an interesting option if you feel like you need the extra performance. I stepup-ed from the 8800GTS 512 to a 9800GTX for almost free, but I'm not sure if it was exactly worth it.

I just bought my 9600GT, and I'm considering the "Step-Up" program myself. When I bought my EVGA card, I didn't think I'd bother. But, with the 9800GTX dropping to only $199, then theoretically I should be able to step-up to one for about $50, which will be a significant improvement over my 9600GT.

If you're doing something that requires a better card, upgrade. If not, don't. I don't think there's much anyone else can really do to help you with that decision.

I'd dump that GTX as soon as possible through step-up. I just had two in SLI. Highest 3DMark06 score I ever had, but awful gaming performance. I should have kept the 8800 GTXs I exchanged for them.

I kinda already knew what they would be like, but they were worse. I though that maybe they would give close to 8800 GTX SLI performance with less heat? Well, at least there was less heat, anyway. I sympathize with all the 9800 GX2 owners.

My 9600 GTs do about the same job for half the price and idle at 42c.

I just bought my 9600GT, and I'm considering the "Step-Up" program myself. When I bought my EVGA card, I didn't think I'd bother. But, with the 9800GTX dropping to only $199, then theoretically I should be able to step-up to one for about $50, which will be a significant improvement over my 9600GT.

Lets hope that eVGA has dropped the msrp to $199 as well.

DO IT IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY!!!! Yeah I have no idea how deep your pockets are, but if you can afford it, even though you don't need it, might as well right?? It's not like it's a minimal upgrade, it's a HUGE upgrade at higher resolution!

what are you gaming at ? I currently have a 8800GTX and don't see a need to upgrade. at least til I upgrade my monitor. also the 4870X2 and the 55nm of the 280 are coming out fairly soon.

I wouldn't even consider it unless you have at least a 24" monitor. I have a 8800GTS320 and have a 19" 5:4 monitor and I won't upgrade 'till I get a 24" as I can play all of my games maxed out at 1280x1024 at around 60FPS. I was thinking of getting a 9800GTX (overclocked) when (or if as I have the $ but really shouldn't) I get a 24"

If you feel you need something faster (and can afford it), then the step-up would be a good option. The 260 is a decent improvement over the 9800, but not huge. The 280 would be $400+ even with a step-up, but is quite a big improvement. It depends what resolution you play at too, the new cards are much faster at high resolutions, but they make less of a difference at "low" resolutions. I guess it's up to you whether you think it's worth it. :)

Back