Keep getting USB 2.0 popup, how to stop it?

ScubaSteve

[H]F Junkie
This is my gf's computer.

She recently purchased a 19" LCD which has a 4 port USB hub built in.
She wants to use these to plug in her camera, cell phone, etc because its easier to access than reaching under the desk.

Problem is her mobo only has USB 1.1 ports and the hub on this monitor is USB 2.0

So in windows XP whenever she turns on the monitor (thus turning on the USB hub) she gets a popup which basically says "this device will work faster if you plug it into a USB 2.0 port" and you can click it to see a list of available USB ports.

How can I get this popup to stop coming up? Its useless since she has no 2.0 ports.

Thanks

I have seen this quite a bit, and there isn't an easy way to disable it. It just never bothered me enought look for a solution.

Lemme see what I find.

edit: What is the exact text of the error msg? Yes I see the quotes, but that doesn't look right and it's not getting any hits.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/usb/USBFAQ_intro.mspx

Microsoft said:
Can I disable the "HI-SPEED USB Device plugged into non-HI-SPEED port" notice in XP?

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 create a pop-up notice when a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 device is plugged into a USB port that does not support Hi-Speed. To get the fastest performance from the device, the user must click the notice and follow the instructions on the screen.

1. Start Device Manager. To do so, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the Device Manager window, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers node. Look for a host controller with the word "Universal" or "Open" in the title. If you find one, double-click it.

3. On the Advanced tab of the Properties dialog box, check the Don't tell me about USB errors checkbox.

I wonder what "other" USB errors that might prevent. I'd kill it anyways. The only ones I have ever seen is the hi-speed in low-speed port...

Wow, that's it? I've seen so many people with that problem, and never knew how to fix it. Would figure it would be as easy as clicking an option.

I hate them little bubble menus.... I am glad they have a way to disable it tho.

USMC2Hard4U said:
I have them little bubble menus.... I am glad they have a way to disable it tho.

Yeah, it's like MS is rubbing it in your face that you have a USB 1.1 device. lol

Back