Keep 9500Pro or Replace with Sapphire 9600XT

HoosierDad

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 3, 2002
Messages
158
I am building a gaming PC for my brother and have bought a new Sapphire 9600XT. I am tempted to install my ATI 9500Pro overclocked to 315Mhz Core/345Mhz Memory into his machine and keep the 9600XT for myself.

I am a fairly heavy gamer and wonder if I will see much of an increase or not. I mainly play Medal of Honor, BF1942, Halo, Flight Simulator FS2004, and Warcraft. Eye candy would be nice but not critical if it would improve it much over my 9500Pro.

He will have an Athlon XP 1800+ overclocked to 1.9Ghz with 512MB of memory in his PC. He will be a light gamer and will not be into Multiplayer on-line because he lives outside a small town in Illinois.

The reviews indicate that their is not much of a difference between the cards so I am looking for input on the matter.

Thanks,
 
the question should be slap me for being stupid now? or slap me for being stupid later :p 9500pro > 9600xt in about half the tests, so why even bother changing? if you do change shoot me an emaill ill buy ur 9500p :D
 
Originally posted by Digital Viper-X-
the question should be slap me for being stupid now? or slap me for being stupid later :p 9500pro > 9600xt in about half the tests, so why even bother changing? if you do change shoot me an emaill ill buy ur 9500p :D

Kinda what I was getting at too...but you chose the Kool-Aid-man-busting-through-the-brick-wall obvious approach.:D
 
If you are itching to upgrade, get a 5900NU, or a 9700/9800 series card. At least you'll have a lot more improvement with any of those cards than you would with a 9600XT
 
I bought the 9600XT card initially for my brothers machine and am questioning only if it is worth swapping it for the ATI 9500Pro in my machine and selling him my 9500Pro instead of the 9600XT. He is on a limited budget; therefore, the reason to not buy a 9800 or above.

I know the 9500Pro and 9600XT are nearly identical in performance. I am wondering if there are other advantages such as lower power consumption or higher performance when AA & AF settings are raised.

Most stats indicate a wash so probably not worth the effort to swap; however, I was just wondering what others thought about the idea.
 
I might be thinking wrong but the raw clock speed advantage of the xt would maybe be of importance in future DX9 games that make extensive use of shaders ect. Its your call,
 
Actually the 9700Pro is a closer match to the 9600XT but the 9700Pro still beats it. Stay with the 9500 and wait for the new cards.
http://www.lanaddict.com/rev/111/1/
Why would the raw clock speed help in future games that would make it look like a 5200FX? That raw clock speed is just good enough to under perform a 9700Pro.
 
stay with ur 9500Pro, dont waste ur money on something u dont need now
 
well, the 9600xt does consume less power...


and it might be interesting to see where you can OC it to...



...but I wouldn't be willing to spend money on the project.






...not sure why you're hooking your bro up with an OC'd machine tho; there's always more potential for problems and since he's not building it himself, he's probably not really qualified to fix 'em himself. And if he's not much of a gamer, a 9600XT is probably 3-4x more money than you need to drop on a card.
 
Back
Top