Keep 24" or go bigger?

Relativist

Limp Gawd
I've got an LG 24" L246WP-BN. I like it, but I mostly use it for gaming, no graphic work or anything like that. I'm thinking of selling it for a 28" HannsG or a 1080p HDTV. I don't want to go to a high resolution. Any suggestions?

I dunno about recommending the Hanns-G 28" I made amove from 24" to 28" and it was immersive but, too bad that Hanns-G 28' crapped out in 4 months. :(

Don't go for the size necessarily, go for the native resolution/sharpness/pixel count. GET A 30 INCHER. 2560x1600 is absolutely unreal.

I was sold on my 24" LCD for a long time and loved it, but wanted a smaller pixel pitch and more of 'em. I'll never go back. I don't think anybody that has tried a 30" LCD has gone back.

Don't go for the size necessarily, go for the native resolution/sharpness/pixel count. GET A 30 INCHER. 2560x1600 is absolutely unreal.

I was sold on my 24" LCD for a long time and loved it, but wanted a smaller pixel pitch and more of 'em. I'll never go back. I don't think anybody that has tried a 30" LCD has gone back.

This is the only way to go if you wish to upgrade from a 24" imo

A friend of mine has a 30"... you can dance on that thing :)
ecstatic.gif
eeek.gif

The thing about the 30" is it ups the budget on video cards. That's ok with me, but I'm also concerned about things being small when gaming. I've heard with the 28" 1920x1200 pixel size things are a bit bigger and it's a bit easier to put cross hairs on target. I could get a 32" 1080p for not much more than a 28".

If you want something big yet has a resolution of 1920 x 1080, then maybe you should consider an HDTV. I don't have one yet so I can't tell you how well it subs for a PC monitor.

30" is the friggin bomb if you can afford the panel and the video to drive it. Bought a couple off of DellOutlet.com here recently that have come in perfect condition.

I had a 27.5 Hannspree 289 (the "28'") a few days ago. Overall, I thought the monitor was pretty good. It is adjustable and HUGE, but, it also has a dot pitch of .30 which is the highest dot pitch of darn near any monitor out right now I believe. The colors were good but required me to spend a large amount of time getting them dialed in. Factory color settings were wonky. I had hardly any lightbleed at all and the blacks seemed black and the whites seemed white. I ended up returning it to find something better (the .30 dot pitch made things look sort of blurry/grainy? to me). It was a nice monitor though.

I think BB is running a sale on it right now for $399. That is a pretty good value.

Sounds like you were to close to the monitor, that's what happens when it's larger. Have you tried a 24" or 26"? I thought HannsG had a better monitor than Hanspree, they are at Costco for $399.

I would get a 37-42" monitor. I got my Sceptre 37" 1080p last year off ebay for $510 shipped and it was the best money I've ever spent.

So maybe a better monitor than the 28" HannsG in quality? Are the HannsG type really that bad? Also, who makes them?

I was talking more about resolution. His 24" is 1920x1200, and 1080p TV is 1920x1080.

I was in the same situation as you earlier this year and went with the 37" Westy deal from buy.com. I love the bigger screen, even with the slight dip in resolution (1920x1200 to 1920x1080). Here are a couple pics for some comparison.

Before

IMG_3065.jpg

After

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

no way. spending more money just to have bigger pixels is a waste IMO.

get something with more workspace if you actually need it. be happy with what you have if you don't.

+ eleventy billion

Why would I want my picture to be LESS sharp? It'd be a big blurry, pixellated mess.

1080 just isn't enough for me. I can't imagine how I ever got by without 2560x1600 after 2 weeks of owning it.

Sounds like you were to close to the monitor, that's what happens when it's larger. Have you tried a 24" or 26"? I thought HannsG had a better monitor than Hanspree, they are at Costco for $399.

I was sitting 3 feet away or so. It is tough not to notice things when you are coming from a high quality CRT.

The one at Costco is the 281 (older) model. The one BB sells is the 289HJB. :)

+ eleventy billion

Why would I want my picture to be LESS sharp? It'd be a big blurry, pixellated mess.

1080 just isn't enough for me. I can't imagine how I ever got by without 2560x1600 after 2 weeks of owning it.
1.) Price
2.) He won't have to upgrade his video card to get decent FPS.
3.) Gameplay is more immersive.

I run a 37" 1080p monitor and sometimes have to turn down the res. because the text is too small to read at 3 feet away. That argument could be made with 720p and below. 1080p? Not so much.

Looks like that 37" does not really fit the 24" when it is sideways. Would it be closer if it were a 40" or 42"?

24" is a good size with 1920x1080 or x1200.

For personal computer use I wouldn't recommend stepping up to a HDTV. I've got a 47" 1080p screen but prefer using 24" all around except for playing games like guitar hero or watching movies with more than 2 other people.

30" would probably be awesome but I can't speak from experience as I haven't taken that plunge yet.

It's going to depend on your use of the screen. I just purchased a samsung 32" 1080p HDTV. I just got it today and it's running quite beautifully. However, I am using this more for a media center than anything. I'm doing basic internet browsing, a game here and there, but mostly watching videos. This works wonders better than the LG 246wp that I had (just sold it to another member here).

I've been trying to simplify my setup and combine my tv and monitor into one... The 24" worked well for a year, but I figured it was time to step up in terms of size. This is beautiful now.

It's going to depend on your use of the screen.

I agree completely and feel this is overlooked too often. In many of the "Which Monitor is Best" threads, the OP will describe what they need, but some of the readers and posters will just blurt out a product that may indeed be incredible, but would not work well for the request.

I've been trying to simplify my setup and combine my tv and monitor into one...

That's actually very similar to the reason I made my most recent purchase. Previously I had my PC hooked up to my Dell 2407WFP and my 360, and PS3 hooked up to a Vizio 42" 1080P LCD. I decided to move the Vizio into the living room and play all 3 systems on my monitor. However, after i tried playing 360 and PS3 games on the Dell, I didn't like how it looked.

I then went back and forth between getting a 32" LCD TV or 30" Monitor. I ended up going with the Gateway XHD3000 (should be here today). The reason I decided that route was because I use my PC more and due to the features the Gateway has, I will have more workspace and can even throw in a PIP TV/Movie at the same time. Also, the price had dropped to $899 which was comparable to some of the higher-end 32" LCD TVs.

More specifically, the distance you'll be at most of the time while using said screen.

Sitting at a desk, with the monitor at the other side. So the screen right now is maybe 3+ feet away. I did try moving it closer while gaming, and that helped a bit.

That LG BN model is especially nice for movies and other work and browsing. Games run also well on this monitor, though IPS panels are usually a little better for fast action gaming. I would not change to a bigger monitor if you sit too close to the screen, maybe a 30 incher at most?

The LG is still a keeper for me.

Back