KB938371 fails to install

nippyjun

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't get KB938371 to install on a vista ultimate 32bit system. It keeps saying failed with an error code 80073712. Any ideas on how to remedy this.

I have disabled my antivirus/firewall to no avail.

same problem here, I think, only it says cannot update files needed blah blah blah, will try to restart and complete, tries on shutdown, coulkd not configure, reverting, reboots, tries again could not configure, reverting.... any ideas? same vista ultimate 32b here.

I installed it but it keep showing up that it needs to be installed again. Restart, try it again, and if it keeps popping up then hide it. I guess we will need to wait for MS to fix it???

I've tried the update after uninstalling my antivirus/firewall and it still doesn't work.

If anyone else has this problem please post here.

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB937287)
Installation date: ‎2/‎12/‎2008 6:19 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80070BC9
Update type: Important
Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows Vista. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

this one failed for me but then installed 5 times succesfully

I've tried I don't know how many times with the 32b stand alone installer, always fails, when you say it failed then installed 5 times in a row, what do you mean? everytime it fails, another note: it appears to have installed (doesn't show up in updates) however a few moments later it'll say you need it all over again. It's really annoying the mess out of me.

I take it you guys are trying to install the Vista SP1 RC2/RTM update (build 6001.18000)?

I had that problem too. There are two ways to get it fixed. The first option is to do a reformat, install all the latest drivers for your system, and it should update without issue.

The second method is to manually install update KB937287, which can be found at this webpage.

Hope I've helped, and happy SP1-ing! :D

It installed correctly for me but I had uninstalled RC1 SP1 Refresh monday night.

I take it you guys are trying to install the Vista SP1 RC2/RTM update (build 6001.18000)?

I had that problem too. There are two ways to get it fixed. The first option is to do a reformat, install all the latest drivers for your system, and it should update without issue.

The second method is to manually install update KB937287, which can be found at this webpage.

Hope I've helped, and happy SP1-ing! :D

The only way it worked for me was to install it manually, though it was hard to find yesterday on Microsofts download site ( untill I found a direct link on the Vista community forum).
Strangely your first option (reinstalling) might not have helped as my Vista 64bit install is only 1 week old.

John

download the update KB manually and install it yourself. That fixed the problem for me. Never worked through windows update but the manual installation took care of it.

I think we are talking about 2 different things here.

The thread is about KB938371 failing to install. The other update does update with the stand alone installer. This one does not.

I think we are talking about 2 different things here.

The thread is about KB938371 failing to install. The other update does update with the stand alone installer. This one does not.

Yeah, I just noticed that was what they were talkig about after downloading the self installer, no dice. and every reboot, I have to wait for it to not configure and to reboot again, really becoming annoying....

Back