kb support on the 360!!!!

Link? I guess keyboard support is better than nothing, but how come no news about mouse support?

dont know but all they need to do is release a wireless 360 mouse or let us use a pnp mouse. i doubt the pnp mouse will ever happen but who knows. its a great step man i am so pumped.

michealo said:
how does one use a mouse and keyboard on the couch?
lol...well, the only way I can think of is...sitting there...using the mouse and keyboard..? :p

hhmmmmm i think they are called hands?

i mean i have heard of them before but its very rare here on the planet earth....

Yea but then you read further down and it says:

"Improved keypress sounds when using USB keyboard"

Which implies that they had keyboard support before. I'm wondering if this is just for entering player handles and chat, and not actual gameplay. Maybe someone from the industry can come in an comment on weather mouse/keyboard support is disabled in the software/firmware, or if its just forbidden by MS thru business policy, licencing agreements, and or QA for uses beyond simple text input. (gameplay vs. chat)

SCSI-Terminator said:
Yea but then you read further down and it says:

"Improved keypress sounds when using USB keyboard"

Which implies that they had keyboard support before. I'm wondering if this is just for entering player handles and chat, and not actual gameplay. Maybe someone from the industry can come in an comment on weather mouse/keyboard support is disabled in the software/firmware, or if its just forbidden by MS thru business policy, licencing agreements, and or QA for uses beyond simple text input. (gameplay vs. chat)
Well, yes, there was keyboard suppoert before. You could use one for data entry, and that's it. But on the update list, it says "full keyboard support". Now, I'm not getting my hopes up, but I take it as they will allow it for game use. I hope. Not getting my hopes up though. I hope.

Well, yes, there was keyboard suppoert before. You could use one for data entry, and that's it. But on the update list, it says "full keyboard support". Now, I'm not getting my hopes up, but I take it as they will allow it for game use. I hope. Not getting my hopes up though. I hope.

What do you mean 'game use'? Did it not allow for data-entry in-game?

PikachuMan said:
What do you mean 'game use'? Did it not allow for data-entry in-game?
Being able to control games via the keyboard.

Could someone please explain to me the difficulty of implementing USB KB & Mouse support for consoles? Thanks.

Isaacav2 said:
Could someone please explain to me the difficulty of implementing USB KB & Mouse support for consoles? Thanks.
It would be trivial, but it might break the mostly even playing field in some games that currently exists. A mouse will offer more precision and quick controls, which can lead to a significant advantage in some games such as FPSs and RTSs. Right now everyone uses the official 360 controller or a clone. Granted, people with good, large HDTVs have an advantage already, but I think that's something MS supports fully. Also, there's a lot more buttons on the keyboard which might provide a significant advantage to keyboard users if they're allowed to bind functions to each individual key.

Isaacav2 said:

Its not difficult, but it opens up a WIDE backdoor for hackers to come in and just ruin the console. The 360 supports keyboards, but not mice. If you want a mouse to run on your 360, burn and install Linux on it.

So in short, its not difficult... its just not desired by manufacturers.

dotK said:
It would be trivial, but it might break the mostly even playing field in some games that currently exists. A mouse will offer more precision and quick controls, which can lead to a significant advantage in some games such as FPSs and RTSs. Right now everyone uses the official 360 controller or a clone. Granted, people with good, large HDTVs have an advantage already, but I think that's something MS supports fully. Also, there's a lot more buttons on the keyboard which might provide a significant advantage to keyboard users if they're allowed to bind functions to each individual key.

Nah, Live Anywhere is going to put 360 gamers up against PC gamers starting with Shadowrun 01/07. Mice are not there for security reasons.

Also at E3 I watched as the 360 controller guys were flat out OWNING the keyboard and mice guys. Don't believe me ? Whatever makes you feel good, but I (an avid pc gamer since 1992 and kb&m FPS junkie) stood there and watched as 360 controllers were kicking the kb&m guys ass.

All I have to say is, I cannot wait to see the look on guys faces when they get owned by a guy with a controller.

theNoid said:
Nah, Live Anywhere is going to put 360 gamers up against PC gamers starting with Shadowrun 01/07. Mice are not there for security reasons.

Also at E3 I watched as the 360 controller guys were flat out OWNING the keyboard and mice guys. Don't believe me ? Whatever makes you feel good, but I (an avid pc gamer since 1992 and kb&m FPS junkie) stood there and watched as 360 controllers were kicking the kb&m guys ass.

All I have to say is, I cannot wait to see the look on guys faces when they get owned by a guy with a controller.
And console gamers will start crying when they get owned. You know how the console gamers were doing so good at E3? Auto-aim.

theNoid said:

It's not profitable for the powers to be to display a KBM combo kicking console ass. It is common sense, however, that KBM is the absolute best way to play shooters. You don't have the same control and acuracy. I bet the poster above me is correct. Auto-aim.

To each his own, gamepads aren't so horrible that they totally screw up one's FPS game performance. I use a gamepad on my PC regularly and I've played quite a few multiplayer FPS games using my gamepad. For instance, take F.E.A.R. While I'm certainly not the best player out there (especially on the CTF matches), I can still wind up doing quite well - with a gamepad. I also have a friend who is a member of a moderately good clan in CS:S who uses a gamepad, although he hasn't been playing that much lately.

JustinSane said:
When is this update comin out? Like what time? Hopefull tonight thatd be sick.

it looks like today at 2pm pst if i remember right.

PWMK2 said:
To each his own, gamepads aren't so horrible that they totally screw up one's FPS game performance. I use a gamepad on my PC regularly and I've played quite a few multiplayer FPS games using my gamepad. For instance, take F.E.A.R. While I'm certainly not the best player out there (especially on the CTF matches), I can still wind up doing quite well - with a gamepad. I also have a friend who is a member of a moderately good clan in CS:S who uses a gamepad, although he hasn't been playing that much lately.

I used to think gamepads were horrible for FPS games, but my recent love affair with the X360 has proved otherwise. I can honestly say that even without aim assist that comes with some games, I am now more accurate with a gamepad. It also feels more natural now as well.

junehhan said:
I used to think gamepads were horrible for FPS games, but my recent love affair with the X360 has proved otherwise. I can honestly say that even without aim assist that comes with some games, I am now more accurate with a gamepad. It also feels more natural now as well.

I'm not too accurate with either. :p But i prefer kb&m

Eh...who cares about a keyboard for FPS games? The advantage is in the mouse.
A keyboard is for typing, and that already works in chat. Hopefully they'll impliment it for any future MMO's, too. For FPS games...blah...I'll use my gamepad to move analog-style, just give me a mouse option for aiming with my other hand.

Domingo said:
Eh...who cares about a keyboard for FPS games? The advantage is in the mouse.
A keyboard is for typing, and that already works in chat. Hopefully they'll impliment it for any future MMO's, too. For FPS games...blah...I'll use my gamepad to move analog-style, just give me a mouse option for aiming with my other hand.
woah. that's the weirdest thing i've heard in a while.

Being able to control games via the keyboard.

I'm having a hard time imagining how that would be done. I guess you have one hand on the keyboard, for buttons, and another on the gamepad for an analog stick --which doesn't sound too useful. What's the big deal about keyboard support in-game?

PikachuMan said:
I'm having a hard time imagining how that would be done. I guess you have one hand on the keyboard, for buttons, and another on the gamepad for an analog stick --which doesn't sound too useful. What's the big deal about keyboard support in-game?

I've been doing it on the PC for years...since Quake 1.
I keep my pad in the left hand. I'm able to move via the analog stick with my thumb (aka replace 4 keys) I have the top 2 triggers, and I have 2 face buttons within easy reach. That replaces 8 keys on a keyboard.
On the mouse I have 4 more buttons (at least), and a wheel.
If you can't play an FPS with 12 keys...you're doing something wrong.
I HATE when people act like playing a twitch game with a keyboard is natural. It's not. It's kludgy. You're playing games with something designed for word processing. People use it because they're used to it, not because it's a good thing.
I'll always stick to my guns that as soon as someone creates a single controller with mouse functionality sans keyboard, we'll all stop using it. Right now using the keyboard is like using an Atari stick...and someone's just got to create that first NES pad to kill it.

Actualy... what they realy need mouse support for is RTS games, not FPS. Thats the one genre left that consoles haven't realy been able to break into.

Only console RTS can think of that was halfway ok was Starcraft 64 for the N64, but they had to work in so many shortcuts and workarounds to make the game halfway controllable with a gamepad, and it still doesn't hold a candle to the legendary PC version.

Domingo said:
I keep my pad in the left hand. I'm able to move via the analog stick with my thumb (aka replace 4 keys) I have the top 2 triggers, and I have 2 face buttons within easy reach. That replaces 8 keys on a keyboard.
I HATE when people act like playing a twitch game with a keyboard is natural. It's not. It's kludgy. You're playing games with something designed for word processing. People use it because they're used to it, not because it's a good thing.
I'll always stick to my guns that as soon as someone creates a single controller with mouse functionality sans keyboard, we'll all stop using it. Right now using the keyboard is like using an Atari stick...and someone's just got to create that first NES pad to kill it.
Sort of like an analogue nunchuku in your left hand, control device in your right...? ;)

banGerprawN said:
Sort of like an analogue nunchuku in your left hand, control device in your right...? ;)

You got it! In a lot of ways it's a little like the Wii is actually designed...only using a mouse in the right hand. I think the Wii could have a "mouse" style attachement that might be just what I'd want, too...but motion might even make that unneeded.

Domingo said:
Why might someone need more than 12 keys? Let's start with the basic controls: 4 movement keys, jump, crouch, run/walk, prone, 2 lean buttons, fire, and secondary fire. Weapons also need to be bound to keys and the moust wheel is much too slow and imprecise for someone playing even somewhat serious, so you can expect 5-9 buttons for weapons. Some other features that may need to be added: score checking, world interaction, dropping weapons/items, map checking, and commands/radio. Of course, not every game uses all these features but it's very much a possibility. A game that would use all these features would require up to 26 buttons - significantly more than 12. Even if you use the mouse wheel to swap weapons, you're looking at up to 17 buttons required. So no, there's nothing wrong at all with needing more than 12 buttons, it just so happens that the games you play don't need that many.

I fail to see how the keyboard is "kludgy." That's more a matter of personal preference than anything, just like how some people ergonomic keyboards but others hate them or how some people love the PS2 controller but yet others hate it. Personally, I find the keyboard to be a great way to control FPSs that provides me with access to many different buttons easily. Yes, the keyboard was designed for word processing, but what is a keyboard? A keyboard is nothing more than a bunch of buttons grouped up right next to each other. It just so happens that in FPSs it's very convenient to have a bunch of buttons in one area, which makes the keyboard a nice device for controlling FPSs.

I have to admit... i've been having alot of fun playing games i'm not used to playing (i.e. 3rd person adventers, sports, racing). For that, I love my 360. I just hate seeing all these wonderful FPS games readily available for the 360 and myself refusing to play them because you cannot use a mouse.

For the Love of God, Microsoft... release a KB&M !!!!

I think there is some type of conspiracy behind it all. For instance, picture this...

If every Next Gen Console (mainly 360 & PS3) had full KB&M support, then that rips a ton of PC gamers from their PC (mainly cuz its cheaper fun). Now with all those PC Gamers (Hardcore or not) that will be missing from the "Potential PC Gaming Community," then who is going to support the purchasing of Gaming essentials (The newest graphics cards, gaming equipment etc etc). Those PC gamers are the same gamers that go out and pay for the newest/most expensive video cards, thus paying for alot of the R&D that goes into the growth of new technologies.

If the keyboard & mouse was added, i think it might hurt alot of those sales. I'm not sure MS is wanting to do that since they are involved in both console & PC.

Who knows... am I way off base?

my personal thought is that ms is developing there own wireless mouse and it will probably be release when they need to. what i mean is they have already opened up live to developers servers. if i remeber right that was so you can play games 360 and pc together online. huxley for one that is playable on both i mean they could drop the mouse then and it would sell like crazy. i mean full kb support is a move in that direction.

Rugeroni said:
my personal thought is that ms is developing there own wireless mouse and it will probably be release when they need to. what i mean is they have already opened up live to developers servers. if i remeber right that was so you can play games 360 and pc together online. huxley for one that is playable on both i mean they could drop the mouse then and it would sell like crazy. i mean full kb support is a move in that direction.

Keep dreaming.

You guys are so silly lol..

THe total keybaord support meant that now you can move around the dashboard using the kayboard.. lol

Not that you could play games using the keybaord, lol why in hell would you want to anyway? ahaha..

Domingo said:
...and I have 2 face buttons within easy reach...

Not being an asshat, but surely you cant use the two face buttons without taking your thumb off you the joystick right?

Syphon Filter said:
Not being an asshat, but surely you cant use the two face buttons without taking your thumb off you the joystick right?

Sure you can. It's not always the most practical thing in the world, but you can. The two buttons I speak of are the ones in the middle of the pad (the back/forward buttons on the 360 controller for instance).
For any sort of odd commands that you don't use often, you can always program ALL of the face buttons to do things like "radio" or command troops, or stuff like that. You can always let go of the analog for a second much the way you can program keys all over your keyboard that you might not need to do on the run.
There's also the d-pad you can assign stuff to a la the 360 version of Oblivion.
If you absolutely MUST have a TON of buttons (most of those misc. functions really aren't needed, though) the Xbox pad has a total of 18 button functions without counting the buttons on your mouse, too. Admittedly you're not going to be able to use 1/2 of them while running, jumping, and in a fire fight...but in all honesty, you should NEVER need to utilize all of those wacky other hotkey functions on a keyboard in a firefight either.

When you've got analog controls, there's no need for any speed toggles or anything related. Ditto for crouching, which can be handled via the analog stick button toggle. You can also press the analog stick as a button and while holding it, use the stick to "lean."

It's all-purpose.

vortexpud said:
Keep dreaming.

reading all your previous post you need medication or something everything is negative. some of us like to dream. my bad for being normal.

Back