Kaveri Laptop Release Date?

viralcow

Limp Gawd
I've been holding out on a laptop purchase for a long time waiting for kaveri, which was slated to come out in January/February of this year.

Well, it's February already, and there's no word of mobile Kaveri chips yet. Does anyone know when they'll be released?

There's only been a slide stating there will be lower power Kaveri models for laptops, plus lots of PR from CES last month. No release date for mobile Kaveri has been announced yet.

There's not even poor quality rumors for the mobile version release date, so I wouldn't hold my breath for an imminent release. Given how the desktop version does with DDR3-1600 (up to 10% faster GPU performance), I wouldn't expect much on mobile either. Computex is the next big show (June), so maybe around then?

Alright.
And I'm not expecting too much from kaveri, it's just that I just want a cheaper, lighter machine that I can casually game with. AMD APU's seem to fit the bill, and the new HSA/Mantle stuff, tho probably overrated, seem interesting... :) I'll wait a bit longer then.

The problem is with laptops TDP and efficiency issues are more pronounced due to the form factor. 10W for example on the desktop most people (especially performance enthusiasts) could care less about. On a laptop that is a rather significant difference to accommodate for in terms of chassis and battery considerations.

Back