Kaos' Workstation Worklog

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
Figured I'd keep a worklog for my workstation update that I plan to work on over the holidays this year.

I have an IKEA Jerker that has been great. I've been using the shelf to hold my monitors so I can slide the keyboard under them when I'm working on notes or on a conference call and I need to pay attention and not be typing etc.

This past week I got some dual monitor arms from Amazon and installed them...and got to thinking...It's time to reorganize and change up my layout.

So here's the plans for this project:

• Cut the vertical posts off past the desktop on my jerker, but fab up some plates so that I coul reattach them If I wanted to.
  • (Depending on ol saint nick) Make/Organize space for total of 4 monitors (2-3 for main workstation and 1 small TV)
  • Come up with an Ipad mounting solution
  • come up with a speaker mounting solution
  • Figure out a decent enough audio setup (mixer/switches etc)
  • Behind monitor ambient lighting
  • Paint the room
  • Move my linux server to the other area of the basement

Since I've been doing more working from home, and will be allowed to do more soon - I'd like to make the space as efficient as possible while satisfying my DIY/Tech urge.

For Ipad and speaker mounts I just want them up off the desk and I see some stuff on ikea hackers and monoprice that should work well.

Cut the posts last night. Measured up between the second and third holes up from the desktop and started to cut them with my hacksaw. My hacksuck...I mean saw wasn't getting it done, so I did it with a sawzall after clamping a straigt edge to the post as a guide.

A tip for anyone else who plans to do something similar - if you have a big magnet laying around, place it near both sides of the post and it catches a lot of the tiny metal flakes. It's a small change, but it makes a difference. After cutting the posts I used a bastard file and cleaned up the cuts and put the caps from the top of the posts in the newly cut holes.

I left a little more because it doesn't interfere with the positioning of the monitors and it will give me a place to mount something like speaker arms or a microphone boom that I haven't decided on yet.

Pics later today when I get a chance to upload during lunch.

Before I made the cuts:

pre_cuts.jpg

After I made the cuts

[looks like this pic got caught in some spam trap in the company filter...it'll reach me in a bit]

Definitely need to paint the room after removing the paneling...but the cuts are done and certainly makes it feel more "open"

ae6c756f6c0909991d7f61a2d34094dd.jpg

Rewired the electrical in the room this past weekend, and got primer on the walls.

Added an IKEA lamp to the setup as well, it's working nicely and now that the electrical is correct I don't have to have cords strewn all over the floor. Pics forthcoming.

Back