• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

K, desperately lost on a Linux install.

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
5,506
So I've been trying for the past 3 fucking hours or so to install Gentoo, and just when I think I've figured out how to get the thing to boot up into a recognizable GUI shell, NOTHING HAPPENS. I've gotten it to the point where I have the hard drive I'm installing it onto properly configured; I've got it formatted using the EXT3 filetype, I've got a 1 gig swap partition on there along with a 32 meg boot partition, I've activated the swap partition and I've successfully extracted the contents of the stage 3 tarball to /mnt/gentoo, which is mounted at /dev/hdg3.

WHAT IN THE CHRIST AM I SUPPOSED TO DO FROM THERE? All I want to do is get it to go into some sort of GUI so that I can feel like I've accomplished something...just ONCE I want to see a mouse cursor of some sort! I've configured the ethernet connection properly, so what more is there to do? I've got a hard drive with all the proper directories there; /bin, /dev/, /lib, /usr, /src, but how the hell do I actually -install- the system?

I've chrooted to /bin/bash, and I thought that the env-update command would, you know, update the environment, but all I get is some message about a file in /etc. Please, for the love of God help me. :(

[edit]
Shit! Wrong forum! Sorry mod, complete slip of mind, I meant to put this in Operating Systems. Apologize for the inconvenience.

I just realized from http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3573 that what I've been doing is continually booting from the LiveCD rather than from the Linux installation; but I don't have a floppy drive. So how do I go about obtaining that boot image so that I can boot into Linux on startup? And when I get that boot image, should it finally go into a GUI when I select Linux from the Windows bootloader, instead of a command prompt?
 
Back
Top